Anyone else - winter storage itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NuttyGambler

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
I am really thinking about giving in to the itch to get my car reinsured and rolling tomorrow. Own four snowmobiles that have not moved all winter. Was 48 F yesterday!

There is still salt and sand on the roads though especially near stop signs and such. But this is as bad as waiting for the car to come.

Maybe I'm looking for others to say ME TOO, so I don't feel so weak!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Suck it up NG! We have 154 miles on a Bird delivered 11/9/01. The unit is resting in a heated garage until May.(We did wash the Bird once.)I remove the cover every month or so and check the battery maintainer in the trunk. We think of it being in long term parking...not storage.

This is part of living in Minnesota!! We tell ourselves "The summers are great"!

Not to sound morbid, but you could be dead tomorrow! Take the car out and enjoy it! I respect everyones personal feelings and I surely don't want to offend anyone, but to me it's a car, not an investment. I live in Michigan and intend to drive it as soon as I get it (hopefully in a couple of weeks). That's why I got the traction control!

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium w/ Full Accent '02 - VIN #1FAHP60A02Y111538 - Getting Pumped!

Yellow '76

I'm suffering from winter storage blues too. My car is at the dealership showroom (locked up!) making visitors smile. It draws people into the showroom every day. Unfortunately, it is a truck dealership, and was their only Bird for the year. It is more of a conversation piece for them than a real sales tool.

With mixed rain and snow forecast for Saturday, and snow on the ground, I'm trying not to be fooled by the sunshine today. Hibernation is not over yet!

I have to sympathise with NG. I'm glad they don't salt our roads out here. I've seen some cars with Michigan plates that were more air than metal from the belt line down.

But I agree with Tip. Eat drink and be merry. Plus, I can't afford a weekend car. The T-Bird will be my daily driver. I expect it to age gracefully along with me. (As gracefully as a middle age letch in a red convertible can anyway.)

I took mine out yesterday with similar conditions, some salt and sand left at intersections from last weekends storm.

If it feels right, do it. You only live once and today is here.

BTW During my first month, October, showing the car to friends and family, I ended up on a stretch of sand a gravel road by accident.
The new Bird having so much new space age plastic and rubber does not scratch as easy as older cars driven under the same conditions.

It will be nice when Reflex Ent., www.xpel.com gets the patterns for the hood/headlight protection kits. These kits will be a must for the Route 66 drive.

-

-

I also agree with Tip. It's a car! It's not even a particualrly expensive or rare car. Sure it's got appeal, and there is a limited quantity, but it's not like a $250,000 Bently Arnage or an unruly Ferrarie on bad roads. It's designed for American roads, it's got Traction Control and it's one hellova lot of fun. Drive it and enjoy it. It can be replaced, you can't.

rolleyes.gif
NuttyGambler, think about why you bought the car in the first place , because you liked it or was it for investment? Then you can answer your own question. If you got it becauce you liked it then get the dam thing out and drive it for gods sake. Mine is a dailey driver and it saw it's first snow flakes this week. The choice is up to you.
biggrin.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by Gobird:
rolleyes.gif
NuttyGambler, think about why you bought the car in the first place , because you liked it or was it for investment? Then you can answer your own question. If you got it becauce you liked it then get the dam thing out and drive it for gods sake. Mine is a dailey driver and it saw it's first snow flakes this week. The choice is up to you.
biggrin.gif
GOBIRD I couldn't agree more, live for today who knows what tomorrow may bring.

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental waiting forred/red/std blk premium (#2 of 2 VIN 1FEHP60E62Y111592)
Mass. tag JWBIRD Christmas gift from #3 daughter

That may be a little over simplified though.

I bought it to enjoy it, because I feel in love with the 55 to 57 Tbirds, the very first time I saw the movie American Graffiti.

The reason I do not want to drive it right now, is because salt is SO nasty to a car in the long run. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time. Not as an investment but as a replacement to not being 17 in in 1957 like my father was. Now that was when cars were cool. If it was just snow, I would have no problem driving it. Just like I do not have a problem driving it in the rain. Just takes more work to get the undercarriage clean.

My prayers have been answered, a mini snow storm is coming tomorrow so maybe I can ride my snowmobiles and will get my mind right again.
smile.gif
Thanks everyone for the support though!

-

A couple Satudays ago it was in the mid 50s and I was driving back home from Toledo. I passed a shiny red one on the expressway and it made me want to get mine. I immediately called AAA and picked it up. Drove it around all day. I washed it that Sunday and put it back in storage where it is now.

I gather from the locations that I will be the last out of the winter storage blocks.

My target is april 5th, I'll have a 7 day long term weather forcast giving me an outlook on the trend to the 12th... By then if there is no swow on the ground and none forcasted, I will be flying...!

Mine will come out on nice warm winter days otherwise it will stay in the garage and I'll use my 99 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road. It has to be driven some too.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

My hardtop will come off on the weekend of the 23rd for the Greater California Santa Barbara Cruise. I guarantee sunny skies![*] Come on Golden Staters, post a reply to one of the SB threads. Shake off the winter blues and meet some of your fellow Birders!

[*} OK, I can't really guarantee perfect weather, but fortune favors free spirits!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back