Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
[red]Somebody from the forums sent me an e-mail on this subject, so I am sharing the answer here for anyone else who has the same question.

The basic question was why do I have a VIN when I ordered my car in April, whereas some dealers still have not had any new VINs in a while (who may have orders older than mine).

This was my reply:
[/red]

I ordered my T-Bird in April and was given my VIN in December. So the big question is why are some people who ordered their cars earlier than that still waiting for a VIN? The answer is that each dealer is given an allocation based upon the size of their dealership (in volume). Larger dealers may be getting as many as 50 or more T-Birds, while smaller ones may be getting only 1 or 2.

Ford decided that every dealer would get their first T-Bird before any dealer got their second. So the first 4200 or so T-Bird VINs were allocated at around the same time... one per dealer. After that the VINs were to be handed out as a proportionate percentage of each dealer's total allocation. That means a dealer who is getting 5 total will get one T-Bird every 2 months, but a dealer getting 50 will get about 5 TBirds PER MONTH. So even if you ordered your car in January when they first opened the order banks, if you ordered from a smaller dealer, it will take longer to get a VIN than somebody who ordered in July from a larger dealer.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
Waiting for #9476...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

ww;

It looks like you may be the winner in the longest wait catagory. (As classified by deposit made) I'm sure there are a lot of us who have waited a loooong time for Ford to bring back the Bird.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

My dealer asked me yesterday if i would take my car without the hard top. if so could probably get it sooner. I said no problem as long as i can get one later at cost. Like others, being last on the list (2 of 2) I might have to wait till summer before i see my car.

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
2 of 2 no vin. and still waiting

I also am 2 of 2 at my dealer. I spoke to him about a month ago. He said that someone from Ford had been by, and had told him that the car would probably be in around the end of March. No VIN yet.

I've changed my order twice -- currently (and finally) have on order a White, premium, black accent interior.

FYI -- I was formally known as bioboss on BON.

I started the search in early october sending out 80 to 100 emails at dealerships in far off places. Received 25 or so responses, most were we have our allocation sold but we'll put you on a list or we can order one for you. 3 or 4 actually had a car VIN possibly sold but since the economy etc etc.. and all of the prices were from $2,500 over to $10,000 over...one dealer in Monroe, LA called and said that he had one coming in, triple black, and it was unsold. Asked the price, quoted me MSRP, sent a deposit, called me 2 days before Halloween, flew to Shreveport, paid for it and drove it home..smiling all the way..
Vin# 2730, Triple Black, Black Accent. Bought and have on 18" HRE Chrome wheels.
just hit 1100 miles and this is definatley not a daily driver for me.

Well....I think I've done a bit better than that. I ordered in August of 2001. Just got my vin from the dealer (10074) and it will be built 1/21, looking at delivery in mid-late Feb!

Tommy T
Blue/White/Blue

Deposit down in Nov. of '99 (number 2 on the dealer's allotment of 7).

Order was placed on Feb. 1, 2000. (3 of 8)

As of last week, still no VIN or build date assigned, but I'm told I'm next on their allotment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back