Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

I found good dyno man Huntington beach ca. excellent price $350.
performance tune, on rollers
info@powertraindynamics.com
Stephen Redoubt
picked up 10-19 hp thru range, this is beyond sct x4 with internet tune
back to the boots change out now
can't drive yet anyways
waiting for painted fins and lights from kent brown design, retro look
I might like smoothies w caps and rings, comments ? sources? 17 x 7.5 preferred.
possible trade?

don 03 3xblk 33,000

im not extremis happy with my sct x4 and tune, I was expecting more.
right now id like to look at some bags to slam it when parked, next step in that direction is the fabulous ford event coming April 14, Anaheim stadium, and ask the slamed owners. ill be there. more info needed.
but back to performance is look for a shop that has a dyno and gets good results with fords ?, maybe they can tune me something better. another $600.
did the feds step in and kill the tuners?
coils would be 30 min
cams would be a weekend,
two different jobs. where/who is making cams?
don,
k/n cai, borla, 74mm bored tb, sct x4 w extra tune.
I live in Rhode Island and have yet been able to find a shop to bore the TB or can I just buy one already done from a performance store, and also no one around here does any kind of extreme tune. I have the 03 premium and have done the exhaust Borla and the high flow MagnaFlow converters and removed the resonators and have deleted the mid cat and installed the typhoon cold air intake and have the sct live wire tuner, I’m looking for other things that can be done within reason to gain some more horsepower and increase the sound, any suggestions

I bought a tb from a wreck yard ($50 eBay ) and sent it to maxbore.com ($125 )
corvettes and bmws use a exhaust cut out system for more...
I've heard they rattle and rust.
maybe some port and polish head work $ 18-2000, +your labor $. off and on.
ok heres 1, lower the fan temp, its too high for performance

don 03 3xblk 33,000

Last edited:

JW in Dixie

I live in Rhode Island and have yet been able to find a shop to bore the TB or can I just buy one already done from a performance store, and also no one around here does any kind of extreme tune. I have the 03 premium and have done the exhaust Borla and the high flow MagnaFlow converters and removed the resonators and have deleted the mid cat and installed the typhoon cold air intake and have the sct live wire tuner, I’m looking for other things that can be done within reason to gain some more horsepower and increase the sound, any suggestions
How fast do you really need to go?? When my g.son drove us recently it scared me. I grew up with 100 hp flat head Fords. cheers

How fast do you really need to go?? When my g.son drove us recently it scared me. I grew up with 100 hp flat head Fords. cheers
I hear ya, and it’s not really a speed thing I honestly drive under the speed limit, for me it’s just allowing the engine to live up to it’s full potential and peak performance, even if I never rarely use the power, but when I do hit the accelerator I want it to go. Since I’ve done the upgrades and had it tuned it’s like night and day from before

don 03 3xblk 33,000
So lower the fan temp with the SCT tuner, what temp should I allow it to run at for better performance I believe stock it runs at 205

All you need to unleash the power of your Thunderbird are three things!
1- SCT Tuner
2- Cold Air Intake 2003-2005
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002
Also recommend replacing ignition coils since these are often bad! They are cheap now, so at the least have a set on hand!
You can do the first two and then the exhaust at a later time if you don't want to do them all at once. The tuner alone will also yield results.

A must have for any Ford Thunderbird owner! Click here to view the SCT Ford Thunderbird Tuner that works on 1996-2014 FORD Cars & Trucks.

Notes: X4 Power Flash Programmer; Pre-Loaded;Not Legal For Use/Sale In CA On Pollution Controlled Vehicle;, 93 Octane HP Increase +14 hp; Torque Increase +17 lbs./ft.~ Backs Up Stock Tune/Supports Custom Tuning~ Axle Ratio/Tire Size~ Holds Up To 10 Custom Tunes; Automatic On/Off/Sleep Mode~ Read And Clears DTC Codes; Built-In Performance Calculator~ High Speed Date Logging And Monitoring; User Adjustable Tuner Options~ Built-In Wifi For Easy Updates; User Adjustable Warning/Alerts~ Spark Modification By RPM/Wide Open Throttle Fuel~ Wide Open Throttle Shift Points/Shift Firmness Control/Cooling Fan~ Speed Limiter/RPM Limiter/Idle Adjustment/Traction Control

K&N 69-3520TP Typhoon Air Intake Kit is also a easy way to improve performance and gas mileage on the 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird! Pays for itself over time! Click here to view on Amazon

Ford Thunderbird BORLA Split-Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tip
Upgrade your Ford Thunderbird’s factor exhaust system to something truly amazing!
HP & Torque: 14 HP/ 18 ft lbs Torque.

Click here for 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust
Click here for 2002 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust

I have now completed all my mods I’m doing, I have done the typhoon cold air intake and have high flow MagnaFlow cats and deleted the 3rd mid cat ( the one that’s about center under the car ) from there I have MagnaFlow X pipe put in place instead of the cat, from there I got rid of the resonators and then it’s straight out to the Borla mufflers I only use shell V power 93 octane and signature series Amsoil synthetic oil and I have a SCT live wire, and have my appt set up next week with the tuner that will be tuning my thunderbird and dialing in the mods I’ve done, just wondering what to expect horsepower wise with the changes I’ve made and the sct tuner and once the guy is done tuning the thunderbird with custom tune anxious about what kinda power increase I might have from the stock 280 horse that ford says, I’m hoping that after the guy tunes everything I see at least 35 to 50 horse increase is this a realistic expectation or wishful thinking and a lot of money down the drain, I will say I’ve noticed a nice difference in performance since I’ve done the upgrades even before the tuner guy gets the car and actually dials it in and dyno tests the car. I will be posting up the results from the dyno once he is done, my guy that is doing my custom tuning for me told me to do all modifications before bringing it to him to tune and dyno, is there anything else I should try and get done before it’s tuned and dyno tested, let me know. With what I ha e been able to do the guy doing my custom tuning said to expect around 30 to 35 at the worst and around 50 horses if everything goes well I have about a week to make some more changes to help get a little more power of anyone has suggestions before the car is tuned and dyno ran thanks to all for the help and valuable info on here and once finished with the custom sct tuner guy I will post up the results so everyone will know what I’ve done to my thunderbird and what the final results are. Thanks guys and safe cruising

sooooo
sct says they only control fan temp with their tune , made for a stock motor.
will not control aftermarket internet tunes, live wire and x4 are both this way.
so now im back to 5 star for a 10 deg lower fan temp, this is what the dyno man says I should "try"

sooooo
sct says they only control fan temp with their tune , made for a stock motor.
will not control aftermarket internet tunes, live wire and x4 are both this way.
so now im back to 5 star for a 10 deg lower fan temp, this is what the dyno man says I should "try"
Have you notice any differnace with dialing back the fan temp 10 degrees, thinking of doing that myself to see how it works, only hold back for me right now is I’ve always thought that with thermostats and engine design to run at certain temps for peak performance and now having the control to make it run cooler that it is designed to run, but then again I don’t think 10 degrees cooler or hotter either way would hurt anything, I would think an engine running slightly cooler would be better in the long run for durability and maybe slightly better performance, my car goes in on the 24th of this month to the tuner and dyno and I hope with all modifications done it shows some decent numbers, I’m pretty sure ford measure horsepower from the crank and not to the rear wheels so the 03,04,05 put out 280 stock, I am wondering if anyone knows or has had there’s dyno ran and see what the actual horsepower is to the ground, I have not been able to find much info how many horses make it to the rear wheels or a conversion to figure it out yourself

ok imo
the dyno is the best but I don't rely on the numbers. seat of the pants is what I like.
hotter is better for emissions. 10 deg down may only give you 2 hp? idk
my tuner didn't give me a fan temp choice but they will rewrite it in if I want.
then download to my desk top but I have Mac so now im chasing down a computer to work with. and then the sct then the dyno again ?
end result is way too much $$ and effort for ?
how about 1 of the coyote motors adapted in?
buy a 2020 bird

im installing my kent brown retro fins, awesome kit!
he painted it for me, perfect

don 03 3xblk 33,

don 03 3xblk 33,000
I’m going to look into the maxbore.com and maybe different cams and some head work, to try and get some more power out of this engine, but I’m finding out this engine is just not one that was meant to be built to be much more than what it is, I can’t find any sights at all to where I could even order a higher performance cams for it, my next step is going to be replace all plugs with the ngk iridiums and new coils and keep digging around and find a few horse here and there, without the addition of a supercharger or turbo there’s not much and I don’t want to put them on that engine

I paid about $750 for the Borla sound on my 2002... It was a nice sound but a poor investment. I really doubt there was a performance improvement but it sounds faster. Unless you are going to race the car, or put it on a dyno, I don't think it's worth $1300 but your mileage may vary.
Why not just change your mufflers out for glass packs ?

Why not just change your mufflers out for glass packs ?
I’ve thought about it and still might, but for know I went with Borla due to the fact of quality materials. I was kinda looking for more sound and great quality and I will say that the time of the Borlas is really good just wish same sound but slightly louder, but I might go ahead and take the Borla mufflers off and go with a louder muffler, but then I would have bought a Borla system for nothing at almost a grand and right now the only two parts from the whole kit I’m using is the 2 mufflers