Accident- Total Loss, Value question | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Accident- Total Loss, Value question

• Thread starter Thread starter Pete
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I was recently in an accident in my 2002 TBird. Although the accident wasn't that bad there was body damage to the right side and three airbags went off. The estimate is above $20,000 as it appears they have to replace the dashboard, seat and stearing wheel that contains the airbag. I'm trying to find out if anybody has any insight as to what the "actual cash value" of the car is and what an insurance company should pay. I can guess based on N.A.D.A and Edmunds but I'm wondering if anybody has some better information. It's a 2002 premium, red exterior/black interior, 42,000 miles and was in excellent condition. I'm in Westchester, NY. My insurance co. is progressive. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

JimYo said:
I think that says it all...
Jim

I take it you are insured by a "bad faith" insurer, and/or work for one of them?
That is what is refered to as a legal disclaimer which is pretty common online.

Take a look at these videos, but beware, after you watch them, you will no longer be able to stay in that safe haven called denial. I know after I did some additional research , I could not hardly wait to get rid of my "Bad Faith Insurer". For those interested, I personally found that AMICA insured most cars and most homes and even has low rates, but after you watch the below, you will undertstand low rates are not the only consideration! I was prepared to pay more without question, but to my surprise, the rates were even lower with Amica! http://www.amica.com/ As a matter of fact they were lower than ANY major insurer I got a quote from. Amica even pays back Dividends!

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/re...gation_Paper_Chase/NBCDateline06_23_00_1a.asf

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/re...gation_Paper_Chase/NBCDateline06_23_00_2a.asf

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/re...gation_Paper_Chase/NBCDateline06_23_00_3a.asf

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/re...gation_Paper_Chase/NBCDateline06_23_00_4a.asf

Last edited:
TBIRD, I watched all four segments and I suspect like worldcom and a few others, we have some major ethic issues in this country. But, I also know that I have been insured with USAA for 45 years (number 10 on the bad list), and they have always treated me fairly and in a very professional manner.. and no, I have never worked for them and since retired, I don't plan to. I don't know the criteria they have used in their ranking structure, but perhaps like some polls, only the unsatisfied make noise, so I am bothered when "My company" gets raked over the coals as the number 10 worst company.
Any way, its been a good discussion and I appreciate the insight provided in the news cast..
Jim

JimYo said:
But, I also know that I have been insured with USAA for 45 years (number 10 on the bad list), and they have always treated me fairly and in a very professional manner..

Recently Downgraded Due To A Continuing Growing Number Of Bad Faith Complaints Against Them Moreso In The More Recent Past Several Years. Many Policyholders With The Company For Years Are Mystified At Its Rank And Downgrade.

Yeah, but that's not really the point. I'm sure they earned the place on the list, and it clearly states RECENTLY. You don't believe they are just getting picked on or randomly selected do you? I too had been on the same insurance company that my family has been using since I was a kid. I had never used any other insurance EVER! I had been on the insurance since I was 16. I dropped them in a heartbeat when I started reading that garbage. I don't care that they have paid my claims, I don't care how nice they are or have been in the past. The point is, if you are unlucky enough to get flagged for them to take a close look at your claim, THAT is when what insurance company you have matters.

It's time American's band together instead of just worrying about what is happening to them. If you listen to the report, they are not doing it to everyone. They randomly pick, and if you are the unlucky one, fasten your seat belt!

I am making a statement, I don't do business with companies that randomly screw people over.

I just talked to USAA (and the way I understood it) was that normally if the loss exceeds 70% of the insured value (will differ by company) they they will buy the car at that cost. His guidance was to go to your insurance company first and see what tell you, and if you think they have treated you poorly, then speak with another adjuster.
Jim

Think outside the box for a moment, a lot more can happen in a wreck than car damage, and you are paying to insure more than your car I'm sure. The video didn't talk about fenders and bumpers. If your fender is bashed in, what are going to do, tell you it is not really busted and refuse to pay?

Last edited:
tbird said:
Think outside the box for a moment, a lot more can happen in a wreck than car damage, and you are paying to insure more than your car I'm sure. The video didn't talk about fenders and bumpers. If your fender is bashed in, what are going to do, tell you it is not really busted and refuse to pay?
TBIRD, how do you edit here... I don't see a icon for that...🙂
I understand your comment, but Pete made no mention of injuries, so I just "stuck" with the car. If we are goona interject heathcare, then new issues come up.. And I have no experience with USAA or any other company for that matter on such.
Jim

JimYo said:
If we are goona interject heathcare, then new issues come up.. Jim

Do you understand what your automobile insurance covers? We are not talking about healthcare.

Accident

It must be painful to have a dinged T-Bird. Hopefully you get good results from Progressive.
I watched the Dateline piece...just remember that it's NBC and that they also have an agenda. I mean Couric and Phillips aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree.
I'm not going to defend the insurance industry, but you must recognise that they will do everything they can to limit their losses. There is recourse though and that is your state's insurance commissioner (God help us) and your attorney. This is a scary proposition but the "squeaky wheel" gets the attention.
BTW, I have been with Hartford for many years. Had an accident about two years ago and they were pleasant, helpful and speedy. So I can't complain.
I can't imagine having to deal with my T-Bird's injuries.
Good Luck
Putt

Putt said:
I have been with Hartford for many years.
Putt

Sorry to hear that, it's consumers like you that are only worried about themselves that enable this sort of problem. I wouldn't be bragging about supporting the #1 bad faith insurer, which BTW has nothing to do with Dataline, or it's employees.

Unfortunately most people are too dumb to realize that these bad faith insurers have lots of complaints logged against them, and they figure since they paid their little (or large) auto body claim everything is peaches and cream. Well, hope that you ever get your claim pulled for review, and hope you never get a major injury in a wreck, but that is the risk you take when you are foolish enough to do business with a bad faith insurer with tons of complaints.

Why would you insure with a bad faith insurer when there are others that don't have complaints?

The answer is simple.

1) Because you are only out for yourself and you figure it "won't happen to me"
2) People are creatures of habit and are afraid to change depsite FACTS.

There are also people out there that totally disregard the paypal warnings because they figure it won't happen to me. http://www.nopaypal.com

There is no logical reason whatsoever for insuring anything you own with an insurer that is listed as a bad faith insurer, quite frankly, I think it's just plain DUMB!

Hartford: The Hartford Gets The Hall Of Shame #1 Worst U.S. Bad Faith Insurer With The Worst Complaint Record By Far!* The #1 Worst Record Of Claim Denials, Bad Faith Insurance Claim Practices And Non-Payment Of Claims. Very High Number Of Consumer Bad Faith Related Complaints And Lawsuits With Horrible Consumer Stories Of Foul Play And Claimants Being Victimized By This Insurer.* Large Insurer Group That Is Approximately One-Half To One-Third The Size Of Allstate and 15%-20% The Size Of State Farm But With A Multiple Many Times More Complaints, Coverage Denials And Non-Payment Of Claims In Comparison. Some Policyholders With The Company For A Number Of Years, That Were Surprised Initially To Hear Of Hartford's Very Bad Record Of Bad Faith And Non-Payment Of Claims Especially Those Never Having Or Making A Claim.* Don't Think Or Be Like So Many We Here From That Indicate To Us "I Didn't Think It Would Happen To Me". If You Insure With Hartford, Know That You Are At Very High And Greatest Risk Of Being Denied Payment Of A Claim.* Don't Wait For It To Happen To You ... If You Are Insured By Hartford, Be Advised That You Should Immediately Cancel Your Insurance And Switch To Another Insurer Before You Find Yourself (Like The Many Others) Being Denied Payment Of A Claim For Which You Paid Premiums Resulting In You Or Your Family Losing Everything. You Absolutely Do Not Want To Be Insured By Hartford ... Join With Others In FBIC America's Consumer "Buy Good Boycott Bad" Faith Insurers Of This Extreme Worst Bad Faith Insurer! (Member Companies Of Hartford Group Include: First State Insurance, Hart Life Insurance, Hartford Accident & Indemnity Insurance, Hartford Casualty Insurance, Hartford Fire Insurance, Hartford Insurance Of Illinois, Hartford Insurance Of The Midwest, Hartford Insurance Of The Southeast, Hartford International Life Reassurance, Hartford Life & Accident Insurance, Hartford Life & Annuity Insurance, Hartford Life Insurance, Hartford Lloyds Insurance, Hartford Underwriters Insurance, New England Insurance, New England Rein Corp, Nutmeg Insurance, Nutmeg Life Insurance, Omni Indemnity, Omni Insurance, Pacific Insurance Ltd., Property & Casualty Insurance Of Hartford, Sentinel Insurance Ltd., Servus Life Insurance, Trumbull Insurance, Twin City Fire Insurance).

Accident

tkbrdaa, sounds as though you had a very bad experience with insurance at some time and are taking this very personally.
Only my autos are insured with Hartford and that is through AARP. I will contact AARP and get their view of Hartford and the FBIC's ranking them as number one worst.
I had a bad experience with Aetna some years ago and have refused to do business with them ever again. It's my money and I don't support companies that engage in poor business practices and poor customer service.
I don't know you and I don't know the FBIC and therefor I will investigate this on my own. I will draw my own conclusions. But, thanks for th heads up.
Putt

I have never had a bad experience with any insurance company and I feel the same way. I switched because I don't do business with companies that rip off my fellow consumers just because "I've never had a problem"

Last edited:
I just switched to Hartford (through AARP) six months ago because they were $900 a year cheaper than Country Companies for my three cars.

Quickdraw said:
I just switched to Hartford (through AARP) six months ago because they were $900 a year cheaper than Country Companies for my three cars.

What's that song called? Livin' on the edge? LOL Call Amica, I bet they are the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back