AC vs No AC Coil spring selection 1963

FoxyRoxy

FoxyRoxy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Rebuilding my suspension and found a cracked and split coil. Macs has two selections for AC or No Ac. I have removed all the AC components during engine overhaul so what would be best to replace with. Is it a height difference? Found a used pair in ebay so wanted to make sure they would fit or would it be best to buy new?

I replaced my front springs and re-arched my rears 40 years ago. If you are not going to replace the A/C I'd go with the non A/C springs. probably a little softer unless you want a firmer front end. I had no idea they had different spring for a maybe 30lb additional weight.

Aha. Thanks. Didnt think of it being a weight issue. Yeah I would say the ac equipment is about 30lbs.Im going to install a under dash ac . My coils do have a shock inside them so im sure the no ac will be fine and are cheaper. The cracked one is on the drivers side.

Noted when I stripped mine they had different sized spacers on each spring side. Presumed that was because of the A/C.

I'm just amazed how different options required different configurations. I just watched an episode of 'Phantom works' where a guy brought in his '66 Mustang convertible with a 6 cyl engine and dragged along a donor with a v8. Wanted to swap engines. Simple job you would think. Nope, the whole undercarriage had to be rebuilt/reinforced to accommodate the bigger/heavier engine. I guess it just goes to show that they are not all built alike.

I found a used set of coils on ebay from a 63 Galaxie with a 390. Wondering if those will fit the Screenshot_20210216-131316_eBay.jpgsame.

Don't assume. As noted above there are many variables. I'd go with new and not less expensive. This is not an on the shelf project. You will be driving this and not just looking. I'd trust the new metallurgy over the old.

Aha. Thanks. Didnt think of it being a weight issue. Yeah I would say the ac equipment is about 30lbs.Im going to install a under dash ac . My coils do have a shock inside them so im sure the no ac will be fine and are cheaper. The cracked one is on the drivers side.
Ah, Now I'm confused. It originally had A/C? Why would you go with an aftermarket under dash system? You'll still need the compressor and new ducting. Best to go as close to stock as possible.

Look at Classic Air's A/C system that is made for your car. Not easy to install but way better looking and more efficient!

Ah, Now I'm confused. It originally had A/C? Why would you go with an aftermarket under dash system? You'll still need the compressor and new ducting. Best to go as close to stock as possible.
Old system was dead. Just focusing time and money on important things like gaskets, suspension,steering ,and brakes.

Old system was dead. Just focusing time and money on important things like gaskets, suspension,steering ,and brakes.
instead of replacing everything, Look into converting The existing system to handle the new refrigerant . A few gaskets and if your current compressor is serviceable, much less expensive even if you need a new one.

I was thinking refurbishing might be cheaper but the original radiator for the coolant is just so huge and in the way of the newer 4 core radiator I put in to get max cooling on this monster inferno 390.

Back