About to buy a Tbird, good deal? what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!

I fell in love with the Thunderbird recently and just found this deal on autotrader: click

Now for my questions:

I am a total noob when it comes to cars in general, and even more about the tbird... so...
- Is that a good deal in nyour opinion? and if not, why?
- Is there any specific problems I should look for on an 03 model?
- Any particular reliability issues?

I have the cash in hand, but need the pro's advice first!

Thanks in advance for your comments,

David

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

David: I'm no pro but have owned an '02 TBird since early 2002. If you intend to buy this one appears to look very good and the price is low, but if you go back to Kelly Blue Book which makes me slightly suspicious, so:

* It's listed as a premium and the wheels verify that, however, there is no hardtop listed, which came with premiums. Ask where the hardtop is, because that's what makes our cars so unique. If you buy a hardtop separately it could cost you up to $3-4000. BTW, if they do have the hardtop, you need the tool that goes with it.
* I would insist on a carfax report from the seller. Their cost is only $15.00 and you may want to be sure that it was never in a reported accident
* Ask what history they have on this car. Maybe it was the dealers wifes car or did they buy it at auction?
* 2003's have an extra warranty up to 100,000 miles, on the coils, as per Ford, but verify that with the seller
* What warranty will they give you?
* Take it out for a hard drive to see if there's any hesitation in the running gear.
* At that mileage were the brakes done or will it need them replaced
* Is the battery the oriiginal
* Have a mechanic, not connected to the seller, inspect it
* Check around the deck rear area where the convertyible top goes into the body. If there are any rub marks around that back area, it probably had a hardtop at one time without protection.
Hopefully others will also give you guidance here too.Just don't rush into it.

Personally, If I were buying a used TBird, I would look at TBird sites and buy a known comodity from an active member. One who probably bought new and cared for it and now just needs to get out because of the economy, new baby etc. Need help, we'll try to help.

Last edited:
Thanks George for the detailed answer!

I went to check the car out last night and it looked fantastic! The test drive went great as well, and the ride was very smooth... the engine and tranny felt good, and the engine compartment is very clean... it looks like the previous owner took good care of that car.

They had a $20k sticker on it, discounted to $15,990... and their online price is $13,990... he explained to me that the online price was the equivalent of a fully negotiated price, and that it's the lowest they can go.

I will take all your other advice and look into this a bit more in details! I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks again.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back