'97 Tbird, 4.6L, Water in Spark Plug Wells

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New member from NC.. been having problems with very rough running, "multiple misfire" OBD codes. Replaced the PCM last year and car ran okay for a few months, but then sat idle for the Winter. Drove it the other day and it's back to misfiring badly. While checking plugs and wires I noticed there was a lot of water in the plug wells for cylinders 7 & 8. Based on the odor, I suspect it is anti-freeze but cannot verify. Any thoughts on what gasket may be blown or what engine part be cracked to allow water to escape into both wells?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

By the way - I added some Bar's Leaks to the cooling system tonight but it's the regular radiator fix, not the Head Gasket Fix formula.

Lol. You are welcome. It was nice to actually answer, rather than ask.

I had the same issue with my 96. Bought her and went to tune her up up...my friend was doing it for me. Every time he pulled a plug, there was "fluid" in the well. That sent him researching. He decided it was the intake manifold. Bought a new one on eBay, installed it, and she has been running like a dream ever since. No sign of recurring problems (yet). That was 2 years ago.

Hopefully you don't find more problems while you are underneath :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha.. I know me well enough to be certain something else will be wrong too.. already ordering plugs, coil packs, wireset, and I might even splurge on new injectors.. I only paid $3000 for the car 12 years ago, there are no dents, dings, or rust so I don't mind spending a little on her..

Continued good luck with yours!

Had the same issue with my 5.4l in my F150. Cost a bit more than the 4.6 version. Seems to get leaky around the aluminum coolant bypass tube at the front.

Had the same issue with my 5.4l in my F150. Cost a bit more than the 4.6 version. Seems to get leaky around the aluminum coolant bypass tube at the front.
Mine leaks at the rear on the driver's side.. is your intake manifold plastic also? Apparently the newer replacement manifolds have aluminum stiffeners in the plastic...

Yeah, the 2001 5.4 has a plastic manifold. The aluminum head was also pitted around the water passages. It was a Florida truck and they used watery anti-freeze with no corrosion inhibitors. I filled the pits with JB Weld and sanded them smooth. Seems to have worked.
So always use antifreeze even in warm places!

(Sorry for being off-topic in the Tbird forum!)

Back