'57 wiring question - Why is there a 12V lead to my steering box?

Pink T-Bird

Pink T-Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New owner getting familiar with my new toy. While trying to figure out why my oil pressure light does not come on when I start the car I found something odd. A wire to my steering box. And it's hot all the time, not controlled by the ignition key. First picture shows wire going into front center of steering box, second picture the yellow bullet connector to that green wire. This connector is next to the wires to the brake light switch. And the brake lights work fine. Brake light switch seems like an odd location, down by the frame rail behind the steering box. But maybe that's normal location?
Still have not found the wire that should go to the oil sender. And the oil sender wire should not be hot all the time, so this isn't it. A prior owner installed a pressure gauge and I'm suspicious that the lack of a light and the operation of the gauge are linked, but I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy, I'd like both to work. I will get it up on a lift tomorrow or Thursday and continue the search for the oil pressure wire.
But one thingat a time - why is there 12V to my steering box?
Greg
Longmont, CO
steering wire_LI.jpgsteering wire 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe that is the wire for the horn it runs up the steering column to the horn ring . When grounded by the horn ring it completes the circuit to sound the horns.

New owner getting familiar with my new toy. While trying to figure out why my oil pressure light does not come on when I start the car I found something odd. A wire to my steering box. And it's hot all the time, not controlled by the ignition key. First picture shows wire going into front center of steering box, second picture the yellow bullet connector to that green wire. This connector is next to the wires to the brake light switch. And the brake lights work fine. Brake light switch seems like an odd location, down by the frame rail behind the steering box. But maybe that's normal location?
Still have not found the wire that should go to the oil sender. And the oil sender wire should not be hot all the time, so this isn't it. A prior owner installed a pressure gauge and I'm suspicious that the lack of a light and the operation of the gauge are linked, but I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy, I'd like both to work. I will get it up on a lift tomorrow or Thursday and continue the search for the oil pressure wire.
Greg
Longmont, CO
I am not 100% familiar with the steeri
Greg
Longmont, CO
I am not 100% familiar with the wiring, but on previous cars the wire in the steering box comes from the horn button in the steering column. The oil light there are two types of electrical switches and a oil pipe type that cars fit. So one is just a oil light type that switches on a light and the oil pressure switches it off. 2 the type that switches off the light and then shows the pressure on the gauge. 3 the type that has a oil pipe that is connected to the back of the oil pressure guage.

i inserted your images into your post. See how here-

Last edited:
Thanks folks. It is the horn wire. On my other old Mercurys and Edsels the horn wire runs with the turnsignal wires under the dash and up the steering column not through the steering box, so this design is new to me.

Back