2005 sub woofer?

there are 2 subwoofers under the soft top with a plastic tube between them for a box difficult to see without removing stuff from behind seats or the front part of trunk panels but they are there they are not beefy but sound sorta ok for small space of the bird. myself when I had new radio installed I also had a different sub built for between and behind the seats
Hi hippymailman, I'm heading down the same path as you did. I've already had someone put in an Alpine ILX-W650, Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers, and had the console speakers disconnected. I'm now looking to tackle the subwoofers. The main problem I'm trying to solve and so far have been unsuccessful is the 'pop' from the subs when you turn the car on, as I still have the original factory setup with the sub amp that is bolted on to the one sub. So unless if there is a quick solution to the 'pop' problem, I'm thinking about bypassing the subs. So I'm interested in understanding more about the sub that you had built that is behind the seats and how well that is working for you. I'm thinking about putting a powered sub unit on the rear deck that is typically used for under a car seat. My other option would be to bypass that factory sub amp and drive it from the Rockford Fosgate amp. Do you know how to get to the subwoofer area from the back by removing the 'curtain' such that I don't break anything and can hopefully easily reinstall it if I decide to head down this path? Thanks, I appreciate any insight you can provide!

Hi hippymailman, I'm heading down the same path as you did. I've already had someone put in an Alpine ILX-W650, Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers, and had the console speakers disconnected. I'm now looking to tackle the subwoofers. The main problem I'm trying to solve and so far have been unsuccessful is the 'pop' from the subs when you turn the car on, as I still have the original factory setup with the sub amp that is bolted on to the one sub. So unless if there is a quick solution to the 'pop' problem, I'm thinking about bypassing the subs. So I'm interested in understanding more about the sub that you had built that is behind the seats and how well that is working for you. I'm thinking about putting a powered sub unit on the rear deck that is typically used for under a car seat. My other option would be to bypass that factory sub amp and drive it from the Rockford Fosgate amp. Do you know how to get to the subwoofer area from the back by removing the 'curtain' such that I don't break anything and can hopefully easily reinstall it if I decide to head down this path? Thanks, I appreciate any insight you can provide!

I tried a sub that went under seat inbetween the seats .turned out the POWER from the sub interfered with the electronics of the stereo and it sounded like crud due to interference. then it blew out.had my work done for me(I dont know hot to get there.) and removed all the factory sub tube its plastic. I do know that the place that did the work went between both the curtain by removing them both. I like the sound of my new sub between the seat powered by my new amp bypassed the old sub and removed it

I tried a sub that went under seat inbetween the seats .turned out the POWER from the sub interfered with the electronics of the stereo and it sounded like crud due to interference. then it blew out.had my work done for me(I dont know hot to get there.) and removed all the factory sub tube its plastic. I do know that the place that did the work went between both the curtain by removing them both. I like the sound of my new sub between the seat powered by my new amp bypassed the old sub and removed it
Thanks! I think I read somewhere that there is a fuse dedicated to the subs and so I'd just pull that fuse out which would take it out of play. I found this pic online of what I'm calling the rear deck... is this where you had the sub installed?
Rear Deck 14DEC20.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate hearing a 5-1/4 inch speaker called a subwoofer. LOL I think they are really just a woofer. The subwoofer in my Mustang is 12" and many people have 15"

I've got 8" Earthquakes in my Mini and they are quite nice!

Can you post pics of where your amp is located?
Thanks

OK, so I've decided the Alpine with the factory speakers and subs is just not good enough. I have replaced the factory speakers with Infinitys and they sound better but still not good enough. The factory subs are just not punchy enough and the Alpine unit driving the Infinitys is just not enough. So out comes everything... My plan 2 amps (1 for 4 speakers and 1 for subs). I am going to try to reuse the factory sub boxes for 8" subs. I think they are big enough for sure. My plan for the rears is to build about a 1/4" spacer for the factory housing and use that on the backside of the sheet metal wall to hold the new Infinitys. The fronts have a nice baffle that I will retain but I will most likely end up ditching the housings.
Front-Door-1j.jpgInfinity-Spearkers j.jpgRear Pass Subwoofer w Amp j.jpegRear Speaker Back j.jpegRear Speaker Basket j.jpegRear Speaker Enclosure 2 j.jpegRear Speaker Enclosure Ground Down j.jpegRear Speaker Munting Hole j.jpeg

Our 2005 has 2 channel sub in the front and another 2 channel in the back. If you don't connect them you will only be getting the little 5" (?) speakers, which will sound pretty cheap.
I know this is an old post but my question is where in the front is the other sub. Thank you any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks! That’s very helpful, and I appreciate the helpful response (see below for some less-helpful responses).
I’m attempting to remove and replace the factory sub woofers with new speakers. I can’t find a way to access the sub boxes… can anyone help?
there are 2 subwoofers under the soft top with a plastic tube between them for a box difficult to see without removing stuff from behind seats or the front part of trunk panels but they are there they are not beefy but sound sorta ok for small space of the bird. myself when I had new radio installed I also had a different sub built for between and behind the seats
I’m attempting to replace the factory sub woofer speakers. I see them but can’t find a way to access and remove the sub boxes… can you help?

I have looked from the front and from the back. I did not see any way to remove them. Pretty sure the only way is with the soft top removed. If you find a way to get them without removing the top, please let me know.

I have looked from the front and from the back. I did not see any way to remove them. Pretty sure the only way is with the soft top removed. If you find a way to get them without removing the top, please let me know.
Not the news I was looking for, but I was already to the point of giving up. Seems like there are three connecting points on each box but I can only reach the forward outward one on each side. I couldn’t tell if removing the bolted on (subframe?) (crossbody?) supports from the trunk would get me there. Lots of bolts and though so it looked impractical.

Last edited:
OK, so I've decided the Alpine with the factory speakers and subs is just not good enough. I have replaced the factory speakers with Infinitys and they sound better but still not good enough. The factory subs are just not punchy enough and the Alpine unit driving the Infinitys is just not enough. So out comes everything... My plan 2 amps (1 for 4 speakers and 1 for subs). I am going to try to reuse the factory sub boxes for 8" subs. I think they are big enough for sure. My plan for the rears is to build about a 1/4" spacer for the factory housing and use that on the backside of the sheet metal wall to hold the new Infinitys. The fronts have a nice baffle that I will retain but I will most likely end up ditching the housings.
View attachment 14908View attachment 14909View attachment 14910View attachment 14911View attachment 14912View attachment 14913View attachment 14914View attachment 14915
What did you end up doing with the factory subs?

Hey folks - wondering if there is an update here on rear subs and ease of removal

Better solution to go with front sub in passenger footwell?

I’ve swapped the 4 oem speakers with JBL 6x8 and will be upgrading hu to a class d 45w RMS JVC head unit

Any reason to keep the 3” speakers?

Now put the top up and remove the forward trunk trim panel and zip tie your wires to the factory main bundle working under the floppy material in the storage well for the soft top from inside the car; if you fail to do this you take a big risk of wires getting snagged in the convertible top mechanisms. Finally zip tie the new wires to the main bundle working from within the trunk to get them to the DS tail light/
Trying to route camera wire without taking the HT off or putting soft top up and after some hours trying to find a route by feel, I’m close but no joy. Found the main harness by the amp on passenger side that looks promising from trunk side and can feel subs and port tube from inside, but so far can’t find a usable gap through. Any added Hints?
IMG_2734.jpegIMG_2734.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Trying to route camera wire without taking the HT off or putting soft top up and after some hours trying to find a route by feel, I’m close but no joy. Found the main harness by the amp on passenger side that looks promising from trunk side and can feel subs and port tube from inside, but so far can’t find a usable gap through. Any added Hints?
View attachment 30576

A 3/8 fuel line pushed forward in the opening between speakers and under folded top was reachable from inside car to tape the wires to it and pull it into trunk. Feeding camera wires alone was much of two days, so hope the rest of my radio upgrade to Atoto A6 is easier.

Congrats. Need to do some route to run power from radio/amp to battery in trunk.

Any pics of where to push the 3/4 fuel line from trunk forward to soft top area?

Congrats. Need to do some route to run power from radio/amp to battery in trunk.

Any pics of where to push the 3/4 fuel line from trunk forward to soft top area?
After removing trunk cubby with 3 clips, the space in photo at front floor of trunk can feed the hose forward where you can feel it through to passenger area through the small opening behind speakers. I taped the wires to the hose and pulled them into the trunk. Same method fished my camera wires through the license plate light mount hole into the trunk. Small hands help. Good luck, fishing wires is time consuming. See red arrow in pictures. IMG_2734.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Back