2005 sub woofer?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Bubblehog

Bubblehog

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
My 2005 T-bird has an aftermarket radio/disc player/GPS (Pioneer NX6400) and when I had it installed the interface kit showed connections for a factory subwoofer and a special voltage reducer for the sub amp power signal. The installers said there was no subwoofer, and I didn’t see one during the install. However- there is a fuse for a sub woofer amp in the rear fuse box, but pulling the fuse doesn’t change the sound.

Is there a sub woofer in the retro T-birds? Maybe tune fuse was only for the Lincoln LS version of the car. Does anyone out there know?

there are 2 subwoofers under the soft top with a plastic tube between them for a box difficult to see without removing stuff from behind seats or the front part of trunk panels but they are there they are not beefy but sound sorta ok for small space of the bird. myself when I had new radio installed I also had a different sub built for between and behind the seats

My 2005 T-bird has an aftermarket radio/disc player/GPS (Pioneer NX6400) and when I had it installed the interface kit showed connections for a factory subwoofer and a special voltage reducer for the sub amp power signal. The installers said there was no subwoofer, and I didn’t see one during the install. However- there is a fuse for a sub woofer amp in the rear fuse box, but pulling the fuse doesn’t change the sound.

Is there a sub woofer in the retro T-birds? Maybe tune fuse was only for the Lincoln LS version of the car. Does anyone out there know?

I don't know about it, but I sure would like too. My Bird also has an aftermarket radio and the sound quality is not real good. Sorta like radios from the 70s. Boxy and hollow. I would love to have better audio. Not sure if it the speakers or the Kenwood receiver. Hopefully someone will know.

there are 2 subwoofers under the soft top with a plastic tube between them for a box difficult to see without removing stuff from behind seats or the front part of trunk panels but they are there they are not beefy but sound sorta ok for small space of the bird. myself when I had new radio installed I also had a different sub built for between and behind the seats
Thanks! That’s very helpful, and I appreciate the helpful response (see below for some less-helpful responses).

AMX, it you've got an extra factory radio I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Bought mine this way, it was my only option.

Our 2005 has 2 channel sub in the front and another 2 channel in the back. If you don't connect them you will only be getting the little 5" (?) speakers, which will sound pretty cheap.

On the 03 there are two components speakers where you can replace them with 6x8 speakers of your choice, if you dig a little deeper behind there, you will find 1 lonely 8 inch sub, and from what I can tell no sterio installers no about it , Best Buy paperwork of the speaker configuration don’t show it, would say because mainly every where I take my thunderbird all I hear is wow this is the first T bird I’ve worked on

On the 03 there are two components speakers where you can replace them with 6x8 speakers of your choice, if you dig a little deeper behind there, you will find 1 lonely 8 inch sub, and from what I can tell no sterio installers no about it , Best Buy paperwork of the speaker configuration don’t show it, would say because mainly every where I take my thunderbird all I hear is wow this is the first T bird I’ve worked on
there are 2 subs I saw them and the plastic bass tube between them when I changed out the speakers of my choice. and did not use the subs or the 2 little speakers on the sides of the center console. wiring diagrams also show left and right subs.

I have a basically unused factory radio 6 disc changer out of my 03 premium bird up for sale, I’ve long since upgraded and went aftermarket with rear view camera and apple car play and all that stuff, fits to have my tech stuff, let me know if interested
Hey @Tbird Harley 03 , I’m installing a aftermarket radio with back up camera on my 2002. Do you have any suggestions of how best to route the wiring from front to back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tbird Hardly, I’m installing a aftermarket radio with back up camera on my 2002. Do you have any suggestions of how best to route the wiring from front to back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi yes I'm interested mine took a dive. No cd action. I have a 2002. Let me know what your asking please. I am in Ftlaud 33305 as well. Thank you.. Tim

There are some tricks to wiring the backup camera to keep you out of trouble and from blowing fuses/frying wires. I did it once then had to redo it to make it safe. You'll have to remove the under steering column trim panel, remove the driver's side kick panel, the sill plate trim, and break loose (but don't remove) the trim behind the driver's seat. Route the wires from the center console stack across to the driver's kick panel, zip-tying along the way and avoiding moving parts/pedals, etc.. Drop the wires down the kick panel into the track for the removed sill plate to a spot behind the driver's seat where you can route the cable up to a place where it meets the main rear wiring harness.

Now put the top up and remove the forward trunk trim panel and zip tie your wires to the factory main bundle working under the floppy material in the storage well for the soft top from inside the car; if you fail to do this you take a big risk of wires getting snagged in the convertible top mechanisms. Finally zip tie the new wires to the main bundle working from within the trunk to get them to the DS tail light/reverse light area.

Be aware, most aftermarket backup cameras expect a "high" (12V) signal to trigger the camera to appear on the dash display; the Tbirds don't support that so you will need a signal reversing relay in the rear to trigger the camera display on a voltage drop instead. I mounted mine behind the DS tail light panel with Velcro tape.

There are some tricks to wiring the backup camera to keep you out of trouble and from blowing fuses/frying wires. I did it once then had to redo it to make it safe. You'll have to remove the under steering column trim panel, remove the driver's side kick panel, the sill plate trim, and break loose (but don't remove) the trim behind the driver's seat. Route the wires from the center console stack across to the driver's kick panel, zip-tying along the way and avoiding moving parts/pedals, etc.. Drop the wires down the kick panel into the track for the removed sill plate to a spot behind the driver's seat where you can route the cable up to a place where it meets the main rear wiring harness.

Now put the top up and remove the forward trunk trim panel and zip tie your wires to the factory main bundle working under the floppy material in the storage well for the soft top from inside the car; if you fail to do this you take a big risk of wires getting snagged in the convertible top mechanisms. Finally zip tie the new wires to the main bundle working from within the trunk to get them to the DS tail light/reverse light area.

Be aware, most aftermarket backup cameras expect a "high" (12V) signal to trigger the camera to appear on the dash display; the Tbirds don't support that so you will need a signal reversing relay in the rear to trigger the camera display on a voltage drop instead. I mounted mine behind the DS tail light panel with Velcro tape.

Thanks Frankie for the tips and tricks for wiring my bird with a back up camera. It is greatly appreciated. The one other question that has me scratching my head trying to figure out! How did you wire the camera from the outside over the license plate, into the trunk? Do I need to drill? Thanking you in advance.

I didn't drill any holes and I'm not near my car right now. But if you pop out the 6 trim clips for the rearmost trunk partition (the one that surrounds the switch for the trunk light and the left side partition and pull the left tail light out slightly, I think you can see a path to get the camera wires into the trunk. IIRC - I routed the wires from the camera at the license plate up behind the rear valence and through the tail light wire grommets or someplace similar nearby...when you get in there you'll see a way to do it. DON"T drill any holes...

Do what ya gotta do, but if I recall, removing the left side tail light (via the two nuts on its mounting screws) should let you look down into some open space where the wire(s) can enter the trunk; I can't swear for sure I didn't drill a hole behind the license plate but I don't remember doing it.

But then at my age, I'm lucky if I leave the house with my pants on in the morning.:oops:

For this with the factory radio, there if a built in speaker test. I don't remember the sequence but it's there. It plays a sound out of all 7 speakers individually. I have a spare radio and it also had the CD issue.

Back