2005 scan tool usage

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2005 Thunderbird .What code reader is everyone using? My 2005 has a misfire tick but my BOSCH 1200 does not show any details. Several layers deep in the menu gives details as to what it is looking for but NOT the actual misfires count.

The BOSCH does show the cats are running HOT, 1100 to 1300f, average appears to be around 900. I replaced all 8 coils and the plugs. Temps are back in range and the tick/pops are gone. The vehicle was serviced/previous owner by the dealer who left the passengers rear bolt out on the coil cover, water was in the valley. The bolts on each rear lower side and really difficult to get to. Any suggestions?

2005 Thunderbird .What code reader is everyone using? My 2005 has a misfire tick but my BOSCH 1200 does not show any details. Several layers deep in the menu gives details as to what it is looking for but NOT the actual misfires count.

The BOSCH does show the cats are running HOT, 1100 to 1300f, average appears to be around 900. I replaced all 8 coils and the plugs. Temps are back in range and the tick/pops are gone. The vehicle was serviced/previous owner by the dealer who left the passengers rear bolt out on the coil cover, water was in the valley. The bolts on each rear lower side and really difficult to get to. Any suggestions?
Try taking it to Advanced Auto or one of the other auto parts places so they can scan it for you. It’s free. And they won’t push you to buy anything. I would do that.

This is the one you want - don't cheap out on those $20 versions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00652G4TS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Works with your smartphone, updates itself automatically and has historic info on specific car repairs to resolve a problem (code)...

The best ones do more than just scan/read/clear codes....the one I recommended above will give you an error code; say a B1869 code, which is an airbag warning light failure....the scanner then will go online and pull down statistics on how often this code occurs in a 2002 Thunderbird how serious it is and then show the top 5 fixes that resolved the error..

It will also do the "enhanced" error code scan (like is available on retro TBirds), not all of the cheap ones do... You can then leave the scanner installed and go "live" and statistics for the running engine will be displayed, injector info, air/fuel ratio and nearly anything else you can imagine...

That $10 looks like it only works with Android phones, but whatever, if folks are happy with it that's fine...
More sophisticated versions do a lot more than just read/reset codes....I'll post screen pics sometime...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would still try an auto parts store that offers a FREE test. Their units are all the up to date professional ones. But if you still want the buy one, buy a good one. And in that case Harbor Freight has a few good ones.

Except you're counting on the "boutique" auto parts store counter jockey to do the scan correctly and know how to use the tool and keep it updated.

But, as always, its up to the car owner...

This is the one you want - don't cheap out on those $20 versions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00652G4TS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Works with your smartphone, updates itself automatically and has historic info on specific car repairs to resolve a problem (code)...
I've used this ten-dollar one for over 2 years, works fine-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20 I've used to to help other people diagnose issues as well on other cars, works fine. All they do is read/clear the codes off the computer, that's not rocket science. I use it in combination with the Torque Pro app.

Last edited:
I have Autel Code reader and OBD ll SCANNER. got it on line. here is what a read out looks like from my 2003 Tbird;
Complete Data Set
DTC_CNT 0
FUELSYSA CL
FUELSYSB --
LOAD_PCT(%) 16.1
ECT(°F) 217.40
SHRTFT1(%) 0.8
LONGFT1(%) -0.8
SHRTFT2(%) -0.8
LONGFT2(%) 1.6
MAP(inHg) 9.74
RPM(rpm) 676.00
VSS(mph) 0.00
SPARKADV(°) 16.0
IAT(°F) 125.60
MAF(lb/s) 0.01
TP(%) 11.8
O2SLOC B1S12--B2S12--
O2S11(V) 0.615
SHRTFT11(%) 0.0
O2S12(V) 0.770
SHRTFT12(%) 99.2
O2S21(V) 0.185
SHRTFT21(%) 1.6
O2S22(V) 0.745
SHRTFT22(%) 99.2
OBDSUP OBDII
MIL_DIST(miles) 0.00
FP(psi) 54.10
TP_R(%) 0.0
TAC_PCT(%) 0.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Re removing the coil cover screws - some sort of wobble joint or wobble 1/4" socket extension (Harbor Frt) is almost essential.
You can grind an extension so that it wobbles on the socket. Dealer also left out that screw on mine. Poor management. :(
1574622596207.png

Back