2005 new fuel pump no pressure

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have tried a Delphi and a Car Quest

Is there sufficient fuel for the pump to work with?

The only things I can think of are failure to prime and caviitation...
There really isn't a lot to these pumps. Most modern cars "prime" t he pump before operation
If you just turn the key ON and do not start the car does the pump run briefly ?
You say you hear the pump running - is that while you're cranking. if the crank position sensor doesn'tell the fuel pump relay to activate because there are no RPMs the pump will not be powered (safety feature).
A excellent article on troubleshooting:

My thoughts exactly. Scanner says around 3 pounds of pressure. 12 volts to the pump at the harness. Several years ago I received 4 or 5 faulty pumps for a truck I was working on. Finally got a good one and it's still running perfect. By no means a noobie at this, just getting frustrated

My thoughts exactly. Scanner says around 3 pounds of pressure. 12 volts to the pump at the harness. Several years ago I received 4 or 5 faulty pumps for a truck I was working on. Finally got a good one and it's still running perfect. By no means a noobie at this, just getting frustrated
What is the background of the car? Has it been in storage? Did you buy it recently not running? How long has it been driven by you, and what were the symptoms that caused it to stop running?

Also, I don't think this is the problem, but does not hurt to check the fuel inertia switch and are you aware there is a saddle tank and another fuel pump as well?

Has any of the wiring been changed, could the pump be running in the wrong rotation-direction. Cars are
DC, so the fuel pump motor could be running backwards.

Looking at the data from scanner is a great starting point, but a defective fuel pressure switch could cause inaccurate fuel pressure readings from the scanner. You should connect a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail and read the actual fuel pressure reading.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Fuel Pressure.png

2005 new fuel pump, no pressure. 12 volts to pump and can hear it run
I am going to assume you have changed the filter, it looks like you have tried 2 pumps with same results and not sure what the original pump was doing I would look at replacing the fuel pressure transducer. The pump running at 3 psi is controlled by the pcm based on the transducer signal, if you believe it's a defective pump get a ford one or a Lincoln ls, I only use Airtex pumps and have never had a problem.

Back