2005 lights stay on after turning off engine

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
When you post, please follow the posting prompts and summarize your post in the subject. "2005 Thunderbird" could be anything. Since we are an all Thunderbird site you can so omit Thunderbird from future subjects.

I will update your title and also, what lights? Map lights, headlights? Etc.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Last edited:
My 2005 was doing this too. I ended up seeing a post talking about the telescopic steering wheel being too far in. I extended it out about an inch and the lights started going out. A few times later they came back on when I turned the vehicle off.... I extended the steering wheel just a bit and they went off. Hope this helps you!

When I turn off engine the lights stay on
Did you every figure this out? Please post your fix if you did.

My 2005 started doing this again. It wasn't a light timer issue. I had replaced the headlamp switch, but the problem returned after a bit. I read a post saying a change in the telescoping position may help... Nope. What the heck!

Here's what happened:
This occurred after my second time on the battery charger. I suspected lights were an issue after battery went dead again since battery is only 11 months old. I was also thinking the battery might be going bad, so I wanted to test it, and that's when the parking light issue appeared again. I now think that a design issue in the electronic modules may be at play and are pronounced and need to be reset after a battery connect and recharge. I'm not a mechanic, but this is how it feels.

With new parts and other anecdotes not working I absently thought maybe the dash-light dimmer thumb adjustment had something to do with it but wasn't expecting the results I got! I thumbed down to dim panel lights with key out of the ignition, and the parking LIGHTS dimmed and WENT OUT! Went back to full blast on panel light brightness and parking lights came on; thumbed to dim again and parking lights are off more quickly this time. Went back to full brightness and the parking lamps are still off. Going to leave dimmer in the middle for now. Go figure?

For what it's worth the car is still in soft-top mode, no leaks that I can tell and in many, many, many days exposed to near non-stop California rain this season.

Last edited:
Back