2005 AC stops working after 45 minutes

Ed R

Ed R

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Drive 65 or more for 45 mins set on Auto 70* and the air bows warm. Resume around town driving and I starts blowing ice cold again.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Drive 65 or more for 45 mins set on Auto 70* and the air bows warm. Resume around town driving and I starts blowing ice cold again. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
usually it means that your expansion valve freezes up.Once it thaws it works for a while,again. It is located behind your dash.

what’s it like to get to it? How hard to replace?

Last edited by a moderator:
what’s it like to get to it? How hard to replace?
per @doug7740
It doesn't list the price of the expansion valve, but ALLDATA lists 8.1 hours labor to replace the valve, and that doesn't include refrigerent recovery and recharge.
Expansion Valve.jpg

Last edited:
usually it means that your expansion valve freezes up.Once it thaws it works for a while,again. It is located behind your dash.
It is usually located behind the glove box,but I am not familiar with that model.Sometimes part of the dashboard has to be removed and the a/c has to be evacuated before you start repairs

when it stops cooling is there any change in the airflow? Low refrigerant often results in what you describe and is usually accompanied by reduced airflow because the low freon causes the evap to ice up blocking the airflow. When you slow down again, esp at stop lights, the low compressor speed isn't enough to keep the evap good and cold and the ice melts and the system starts working "normally" again.

Frozen expansion valve (and/or evaporator coil) generally points to a low Freon charge. If this is the case recover it and compare the amount recovered to the amount indicated on the label. If it is low, just recharge with the correct amount. I had this problem with my 2003.

Back