2004 w/ Jaguar 4.2 Engine Swap

B

bradmwortham

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I love this forum so I thought I’d add to it myself. My 04 Thunderbird engine blew on me a few months ago and right now it’s in the shop getting a 4.2 Jaguar Supercharged engine installed as well as a PowerStop brake kit. I’ve seen multiple discussions about swapping a 4.2l in but haven’t seen any done. Any questions or advice is welcome. I’ll try to update this as the project moves along!

I love this forum so I thought I’d add to it myself. My 04 Thunderbird engine blew on me a few months ago and right now it’s in the shop getting a 4.2 Jaguar Supercharged engine installed as well as a PowerStop brake kit. I’ve seen multiple discussions about swapping a 4.2l in but haven’t seen any done. Any questions or advice is welcome. I’ll try to update this as the project moves along!
I hope all goes well for you.. Yes, keep us informed.. Just a quick question, why the Jag engine. Would a 5.0 Mustang GT engine fit? I always wanted to see that on Fantom Works or one of those Motortrend Network shows.., Ha, I could only imagine the bill from Dan aft the end of the show.. Something I could never afford..

I hope all goes well for you.. Yes, keep us informed.. Just a quick question, why the Jag engine. Would a 5.0 Mustang GT engine fit? I always wanted to see that on Fantom Works or one of those Motortrend Network shows.., Ha, I could only imagine the bill from Dan aft the end of the show.. Something I could never afford..
Jag drops in 5.0 is Ford T Bird is jaguar platform

Are you sticking with the auto transmission? I would like a 5 speed manual....

The reason mark said. Discussed swapping with a remanufactured engine or a coyote but the Jaguar engine was by far the quickest/cheapest option. $3,652 for the swap and $1,096 for the brake kit.

Are you sticking with the auto transmission? I would like a 5 speed manual....
I'd love to eventually. Sounds like big project. Do you know if there’s any info on doing a manual swap?

The reason mark said. Discussed swapping with a remanufactured engine or a coyote but the Jaguar engine was by far the quickest/cheapest option. $3,652 for the swap and $1,096 for the brake kit.

I'd love to eventually. Sounds like big project. Do you know if there’s any info on doing a manual swap?
They didn't even make a manual transmission for the Lincoln or Ford, so obviously this is not feasible or practical.

That's what I was wondering. If there is a jaguar manual trans that would bolt on to the engine that you put in ?

I would love to know the exact PowerStop set you are using if you don't mind. I just got done upgrading mine.

I also upgraded my brakes on my first 04 years ago. And loved it so much I did it to two other birds I’ve had. The reason I did it to the first one was the OE brakes would fade on hills around the PCH north of SF. My brother who is a Master Mechanic for Nissan suggested Power Stop kit to help with the Brake Fade problem. And it worked. Good luck with the swap. One question is: what are you doing about the Jag engines computer?

May I ask, Reddwlf, how many miles did your blown engine have and are you sure it was blown? Also- How much horsepower is the 4.2?

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

May I ask, Reddwlf, how many miles did your blown engine have and are you sure it was blown? Also- How much horsepower is the 4.2?

Thank you!! It made exactly 300hp in the S-Type R we’ll see.

It was months ago that it blew but I believe a little over 120k. For sure blown. Originally was going to have the mechanic see if he could rebuild it but it wasn’t worth it. They said they’re going to deal with the issue when they get to it but they’re going to try to make the Jag computer control everything but I’m going up today for an update so I’ll let you know.

I have an 02 which has a smaller engine..it only has 50k but it was a gift from my sister because it had too many issues..first thing I thought of was dropping a bigger motor in it although it seems to have plenty of power
I'm presently dealing with the no dash cluster lights. Tracked it to a bad resistor. From what I understand it is a common problem with Tbirds..and it will probably happen again..So what if I swap everything over to a mustang system or maybe a Lincoln ??? Has Anyone already tried that? Let me know what you think about that jag swap when you're done please

Any updates (pics) on your swap? I hope things are moving along smoothly for you. I currently don't own a Thunderbird, but hope to get one by the end of this year and perform a similar swap. Swapping with a 4.2L Supercharged Jag (R) is a great idea since the Thunderbird, S-Type and LS have a lot of parts in common. Some believe that jags engines are unreliable, but I think with the proper maintenance and if you know what you're doing they can last because I've had 3 of them. Did you have to change out your ECU/ECM with your swap? What other parts or accessories did you have to swap?

Attachments

• 20220713_190815.jpg
    20220713_190815.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220805_183218.jpg
    20220805_183218.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220805_183102.jpg
    20220805_183102.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
Back