2004 Vin Tag Locations on Body | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Vin Tag Locations on Body

• Thread starter Thread starter AngryBird
  • Start date Start date
A
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello fellow T Bird Owners,

I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate your help.

I purchased a 2004 Canadian T Bird around a month ago. I was hoping someone can tell me the exact locations and count of the VIN tags on the vehicle.

I did the equivalent of a CARFAX search prior to purchasing the car to confirm that it is accident free. However, I did notice that in the trunk opening area the VIN tag on the driver's side is faded and peeling off and there was no tag on the passenger side, only on the passenger side of the trunk lid underside. I did find another tag under the hood. I am concerned that it may have had body and/or paint work done which was not disclosed, since that entail removing the vin tags. I also noticed that the panel gaping was uneven between the rear driver's side and passenger side which grew the suspicion further.

Any guidance would be really great.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello fellow T Bird Owners,

I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate your help.

I purchased a 2004 Canadian T Bird around a month ago. I was hoping someone can tell me the exact locations and count of the VIN tags on the vehicle.

I did the equivalent of a CARFAX search prior to purchasing the car to confirm that it is accident free. However, I did notice that in the trunk opening area the VIN tag on the driver's side is faded and peeling off and there was no tag on the passenger side, only on the passenger side of the trunk lid underside. I did find another tag under the hood. I am concerned that it may have had body and/or paint work done which was not disclosed, since that entail removing the vin tags. I also noticed that the panel gaping was uneven between the rear driver's side and passenger side which grew the suspicion further.

Any guidance would be really great.

Thanks
I do not have the knowledge, but this is the site for it.

You know about the metal VIN tag at the base of the windshield on the drivers side? Visible from outside the car. The non-metal tags on mine are too faded to read. Besides the tag on the deck lid itself, there are TWO in the trunk rain trough, one on the left and one on the right (passenger) side. Mine is a 2002 but would think the location of these would be the same for 2004. Perhaps someone with a 2004 can verify they have tags visible on the inside of each L&R quarter panel.

You know about the metal VIN tag at the base of the windshield on the drivers side? Visible from outside the car. The non-metal tags on mine are too faded to read. Besides the tag on the deck lid itself, there are TWO in the trunk rain trough, one on the left and one on the right (passenger) side. Mine is a 2002 but would think the location of these would be the same for 2004. Perhaps someone with a 2004 can verify they have tags visible on the inside of each L&R quarter panel.

Thanks for the help. I took it to a body shop and they confirmed that the driver's side of the car had paint work hence why the VIN tags were missing and/or painted over. They suspect it was swiped on the driver's side. They also confirmed there was filler work in the driver's side rear lower bumper.The door still has the original VIN tag and the driver's front quarter panel has all the original parts so we think that the impact was only at the lower rear bumper corner and the rest was cosmetic and paint blending work. Scary how some stuff doesn't make it to Carfax and a lesson learned for sure. Hopefully the surprises are only limited to this as I do have a mechanical inspection planned for tomorrow.

yup my 04 has em also under the hood in front

If accident is on private property or not reported to the insurance - i.e. paid out of pocket there is a good chance it doesnt get reported to any agency where Carfax or other reporting agency might pick it up. Reporting to them is not mandatory - yet.

Back