2004 To-Do list after sitting 5 years | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 To-Do list after sitting 5 years

• Thread starter Thread starter TimsBBird
  • Start date Start date
T
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Bought my 2004 a few weeks ago 82k miles. It sat in a barn /garage since 2019. I knew there would be issues.
All the steering components tie rods control arms sway bars. the rubber is shot. This my winter project and I knew this when I bought the car.

P2106 limp mode. I purchased a blue driver scanner for this. Looks like throttle position sensor ( I hope) I bought one just have not put it on yet.
Fem module has issues no dash lights. I was unaware of this one.

I thought it had a oil leak, the previous owner thought it was the drain plug. I think it is power steering fluid. My reservoir is almost dry. It was full when I bought it.
Going to be my project for today. I am expecting the worse leaking rack and pinion.

I am retired so I knew this was to be a work in progress. I love the car, but I paid too much....I always get hosed on car deals...lol

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are ways to bypass the FEM and back feed the dash lights but its prob best to just have the FEM checked out and repaired. You'll want to make sure the brakes have good fluid and work properlty.

Bought my 2004 a few weeks ago 82k miles. It sat in a barn /garage since 2019. I knew there would be issues.
All the steering components tie rods control arms sway bars. the rubber is shot. This my winter project and I knew this when I bought the car.

P2106 limp mode. I purchased a blue driver scanner for this. Looks like throttle position sensor ( I hope) I bought one just have not put it on yet.

I thought it had a oil leak, the previous owner thought it was the drain plug. I think it is power steering fluid. My reservoir is almost dry. It was full when I bought it.
Going to be my project for today. I am expecting the worse leaking rack and pinion.

I am retired so I knew this was to be a work in progress. I love the car, but I paid too much....I always get hosed on car deals...lol
I bought our 2004 PCR in 2018 after it had been in cold storage for 14 years. It started and ran well, but I knew that many rubber parts had dried out would need to be replaced. Belts and hoses and to my surprise window seals were and still are fine, However, all suspension rubber parts were in poor shape. That included front shocks. Of course the tires and spare were essentially new but they were brittle and hard and had to be replaced immediately. Other age related things I’ve had to replace were power steering pump, AC compressor, EGR valve, battery, and both front wheel sensors. If I were you I would immediately drain and replace all fluids with Motorcraft approved products only. You can get into big trouble using the wrong engine coolant Good luck with your Thunderbird. Once you get it road worthy you’ll love it.

My experience is with a '04 that I bought new and still have it - but at only about 31K mi.

The rubber boots on steering/suspension components generally deteriorated at about 15 years. Rather than replace components as that occurred, I elected to do nothing until the parts otherwise need to be replaced. There has been no change in handling, NVH (i.e., noise, vibration, harshness), etc. The parts, however, will no doubt need to be replaced sooner than if the boots had not deteriorated.

The TPS was faulty "right out off the box" (i.e., shortly after delivery). I suspected that but had difficulty replicating its behavior to the servicing dealer. The service mgr. told me several times that when it turns on the CEL and sets a code, they could replace the part. I got the message and made it turn on the CEL and set a code. 'Service mgr. then said "now we have something we can work with" and replaced the TPS. End of problem then and no recurrence since then (20+years).

I too had a power steering fluid leak (also at about 15 yrs.). The leak was due to a faulty power steering switch that maintains engine RP M when in turning mode. Replaced switch - end of leak.

'Have had no dash light issues. I recommend exhausting all other possible causes of that before assigning the cause to the FEM. 'Have no "silver bullet" for doing that. Just start with the service manual CD if you have it - and then resort to internet searches. 'Just what I would do...

Also a retiree (mechanical/petroleum engineer) and DIY automotive hobbyist...

I got the same code when the alarm was accidentally set off in my 05 Thunderbird. I could not find anyway to reset, and get our car out of limp mode. Finally took it to a local shop to have the electrical system checked. That checked out OK. They replaced the throttle body, and problem was resolved. I admit, I could have done that, but was not familiar with the car, having just bought it 2 months earlier. Hope this helps.

The rubber boots on steering/suspension components generally deteriorated at about 15 years. Rather than replace components as that occurred, I elected to do nothing until the parts otherwise need to be replaced. There has been no change in handling, NVH (i.e., noise, vibration, harshness), etc. The parts, however, will no doubt need to be replaced sooner than if the boots had not deteriorated.
I'm using this same approach. Not replacing any suspension parts until they show signs of deterioration. So far, no issues even with worn and torn cheap rubber boots. I'd like to go polyurethan when I do get around to replacing suspension parts. I did this on my 73 vette.

Back