2004 Thunderbird Climate control went to full heat

KennyWG

KennyWG

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My climate control was working fine, I went in the store and when I restarted the car it went to max heat and max fan but the control numbers were still reading 70. I can turn the fan and down that works. When I turn the heat down the numbers change but the temperature of the heater doesn't. If I turn the temp control to where it is higher than the temp in the car then the heater will stop. I can go from auto to off and that works but if I then go to manual by pushing the AC button it will go right back to max heat and max fan. If I turn auto to off, then when I turn the key off and then restart the car I am back to max heat and full fan. I have only had the car three weeks, is this some kind of an initiation ritual?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've not had that issue but I can tell you because these cars are made with a lot of Jaguar parts there will always be weird electrical issues. I've had mine since it was new. One day I went to turn the volume down on the radio and it got louder and louder. The steering wheel volume control works but not the knob. I also have a Jagusr XJ. They are notorious for electrical mysteries. Best of luck

I've not had that issue but I can tell you because these cars are made with a lot of Jaguar parts there will always be weird electrical issues. I've had mine since it was new. One day I went to turn the volume down on the radio and it got louder and louder. The steering wheel volume control works but not the knob. I also have a Jagusr XJ. They are notorious for electrical mysteries. Best of luck
My volume control works jut the opposite of yours. lol

I also have that problem. Just use the wheel buttons.

Interesting that I have a 2005 and I have the same problem with mine. I thought it was a bad radio. I have used it to my benefit though, I listen to the radio much louder than my wife, so when she is in the car with me, she gets frustrated at the volume of the radio but knows if she touches it to turn it down it will only get louder. :) Has done this since the day it was delivered to me.

Sounds like your automatic temp control has gone bad, you can either get it
rebuilt, or replace it.

The radio issue is simply a bad radio volume control. You can clean the
volume control with good contact cleaner, but to do so you have to remove
radio from car, and open radio unit to get to volume pot.

Sounds like your automatic temp control has gone bad, you can either get it rebuilt, or replace it. ** Ed, where is this located? Is it the push button panel or elsewhere? **

The radio issue is simply a bad radio volume control. You can clean the volume control with good contact cleaner, but to do so you have to remove radio from car, and open radio unit to get to volume pot.
**That's the reason I use the wheel buttons - too much of a task for me. ** Thx

Sounds like your automatic temp control has gone bad, you can either get it rebuilt, or replace it. **

Ed, where is this located? Is it the push button panel or elsewhere? **

Sounds like your automatic temp control has gone bad, you can either get it
rebuilt, or replace it.

The radio issue is simply a bad radio volume control. You can clean the
volume control with good contact cleaner, but to do so you have to remove
radio from car, and open radio unit to get to volume pot.

Where is the automatic temp control located, I ordered the shop manual DVD but it hasn't arrived yet. My volume control issue is not on the radio, it's the steering wheel control but it decided to work today. I think this car just needs to be used a little more. It only has 38,000 miles on it but it will be my daily driver. I am 80 years old so it will probable be my last car. lol I owned a 56 in 1962 and a 60 in 1969 but I never did forgive Ford for putting a back seat in the bird. Thanks for the info.

Where is the automatic temp control located, I ordered the shop manual DVD but it hasn't arrived yet. My volume control issue is not on the radio, it's the steering wheel control but it decided to work today. I think this car just needs to be used a little more. It only has 38,000 miles on it but it will be my daily driver. I am 80 years old so it will probable be my last car. lol I owned a 56 in 1962 and a 60 in 1969 but I never did forgive Ford for putting a back seat in the bird. Thanks for the info.
after doing some research I realize that was dumb question, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

I totally agree about the back seat. :( Maybe if you punched the wheel buttons (sw off) repeatedly it might help. Contacts may have oxidized. I'm 87. :)

The volume control is simply a ceramic disc coated with carbon, the knob shaft has a small
copper contact that rubs the disc coated with carbon, which gives varying levels of resistance
for the radio to know how much volume, or how much less volume to provide. When the contact
gets dirty from may years, the radio will either go high volume, or give varying levels of volume.

The steering wheels controls also control the volume, which will sometimes work depending
if the volume control is making contact at that time. Sometimes volume is controlled by a on off
contact that moves in one step increments, not sure if T Bird radio uses this concept since I have
not opened one of these radios.

This analysis is from my 40 years in the radio communications business.

"This analysis is from my 40 years in the radio communications business.[/QUOTE]"

Thanks for your insite, Ed. Built my first kit tube radio at 14 using a big ol' American Beauty soldering iron. 87 now and still have the iron. :) Cheers

Kenny, is that the unit near the rad on passenger side?

Back