2004- throttle body codes coming from COP failures?

vegabondjohn

vegabondjohn

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently purchased a 2004 Thunderbird (and love it!). I knew some of the COP's had been replaced but not all of them. After I experienced what I thought was the car misfiring and then going into limp mode, I decided to change all 8 coil packs.

Not more than a day later the same issues occurred with the care going into limp mode. This has happened over half a dozen times since.

I ran the codes and what came up was all related to the throttle body.
P2111
P2135
P2104
P2106

I've read that it's common to see throttle body codes with COP issues and to first change the coil packs before touching the throttle body. I also haven't run across any threads pertaining to common throttle body issues. Then again, most birds don't have 129k miles on them like mine does...

Has anyone experienced something similar? I really don't know where to go from here and am hesitant to start replacing throttle body parts when it's possible it could still be the COP system.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you search the forum for those codes, you will find many threads on the topic like- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/throttle-body-pandemic-of-ford-makes.3792/ As you see, that one says that it's the COPS, not the throttle body.

Also, did you replace your spark plugs? Also, what about your valve cover gasket and cowl seal when you did your COPS? If not, a leak could have very well fouled out the new ones already. I would inspect your replacement parts to see if they are fouled out again and read this post about how to fix the COPS problem long term- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

PS please include the model year(s) in your subject on future posts. I added this for you.

2004 Red Bird. I had same problem on my 04 but corrected by replacing Throttle Position Sensor. Much less expensive than replacing Throttle Body. I have a detailed post if you search TPS sensor replacement. Gen 1 TPSs are known to fail. I replaced with a Gen 3 and have had no further problems with limp mode.

Back