2004 Tbird air conditioning blows hot air

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Just make sure that's your problem. I thought my '02 heater control valve went out when my temperatures inside went all over the place and it was the evaporator discharge air temp sensor - a $24 part and about 10 minutes to change - I just replaced mine two days ago and it fixed me up! Part number: XW4Z-19C734-BA.

The Ford dealer didn't even know where the part was located and quoted me $1,500 to pull the entire dash to replace it!

Just make sure that's your problem. I thought my '02 heater control valve went out when my temperatures inside went all over the place and it was the evaporator discharge air temp sensor - a $24 part and about 10 minutes to change - I just replaced mine two days ago and it fixed me up! Part number: XW4Z-19C734-BA.

The Ford dealer didn't even know where the part was located and quoted me $1,500 to pull the entire dash to replace it!
My 2002 thunderbird ac blows cold then hot and flips back and forth continuously any ideas?

I've been reading all the answers to the "Hot air only" problems with the Tbirds. It seems it makes no difference if you have low or high mileage, my car has over 144000. I replace the DCCV about a month ago, my 2002 has 5 not 3 hoses and cost less then $40 on ebay. I replaced it myself which took me 2 days. Getting it out was what took a while because my car had the hydraulic fan replaced with an electric one, so the assembly had to be removed. I was following the manual for a 2002 which said that wasn't necessary. Putting the new valve in took about 3 hours, on the second day. This fixed my hot air problem.

I bought a 2002 in January. This issue just started. Cold air, then hot for a few seconds. I am taking it to a mechanic next week. He is a 31 year Ford master mechanic working for a private shop now. Do you have any insight for him?
He asked about clicking behind the dash. I trust him and think he will find it, but any help you can be is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need the DCCV. Any word on quality of cheaper units vs the Ford part? Prices are from around $200 down to about $50-60. Thanks

I think I need the DCCV. Any word on quality of cheaper units vs the Ford part? Prices are from around $200 down to about $50-60. Thanks
I've never heard any complaints on the DCCV on either part. The days of the OEM part always being superior are long gone IMHO. A lot is all crap made in China to increase profits and keep shareholders happy.

I bought a DCCV for my 2002 Tbird on Ebay under $50. I needed the one with 5 hose connections, I think later cars have 3 connections, the valve was perfect and exactly as the original that came with the car. It took me all day to change it because I have an electric fan that replaced the hydraulic factory setup.

I bought a DCCV for my 2002 Tbird on Ebay under $50. I needed the one with 5 hose connections, I think later cars have 3 connections, the valve was perfect and exactly as the original that came with the car. It took me all day to change it because I have an electric fan that replaced the hydraulic factory setup.

So having an electric fan conversion makes it easier or harder to replace?

With the original hydraulic fan the you tube video didn't have to remove the fan assy. I had to remove the electric fan for access and clearance working from on top rather then under the car.

I purchased an OEM valve about a month ago in an attempt to fix my a/c issue. Read that the DCCV could be the culprit...turns out it wasn’t. I paid $150. with shipping and it took about 6 hrs or so to replace. Pretty sure they heard me cursing in the next town
I decided to swap out those Ford hose clamps while I was at it. I guess it’s back to the shop in the spring for a check up. I’ve already had the system charged twice but no leaks have been detected. By the way I have a 2005 full accent Evening Black..

I have had the following problems with my 03 that now has 68,000 miles.
7/2014 rubber seal on the A/C compressor leaked $1.50 for a new seal.
6/2017 Main A/C hose from Comp. replaced.
6/2019 A/C Comp. electric clutch failed, install new Compr.
6/2020 Freon leak at O ring at the evaporator to the expansion valve.
8/2020 Freon leak at main hose from Comp. install new hose.
10/2020 Pwr/Str/Pump hose leaking, drips oil onto A/C clutch causing it to slip at high RPM.

My 2005 is giving me fits. When I put temp controls on, whether heat, vent, or a/c, super-heated air from engine compartment gets oumped into the car. Does anyone have an idea before I spend a ton of money for troubleshooting?

There is a duct-door mover that went bad on our '05 and it was su[pposed to be 1500.00 to fix because the dash had to come out. When I went to pick it up the bill was 700.00 because the mechanic took out the glove box and maybe the radio which saved me half to get the job done. Airport Ford in Florence Ky is an honest dealership. Hope this helps.

Back