2004 steering tilt repair question

C

cdbintexas

Passed away 11/09/2020
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My tilt mechanism quit working and I have isolated the problem to a Teflon sleeve which runs on the tilt threaded shaft. I can not figure out how to remove the pin
holding the metal around that Teflon sleeve to the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to remove the pin? See pictures of the part and the pin.
remove pin.JPGsteering tilt.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to completely remove my steering column 18 months ago, difficult to
completely disassemble, but can be done. I believe you have to remove
screw shaft, then you can press tabs to remove teflon sleve.

Can you find a new teflon sleve.

My tilt mechanism quit working and I have isolated the problem to a teflon sleeve which runs on the tilt threaded shaft. I can not figure out how to remove the pin
holding the metal around that Teflon sleeve to the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to remove the pin? See pictures of the part and the pin.
Thanks Edward, I will see tomorrow if I can get a wrench big enough for this high torque stat screws. I bought a used Assembly for a hundred bucks to get the part.

My tilt mechanism quit working and I have isolated the problem to a Teflon sleeve which runs on the tilt threaded shaft. I can not figure out how to remove the pin
View attachment 10929View attachment 10930
OK, it is fixed! The only way to get the worn out teflon nut part is to buy an entire assembly. I found one at an Atlanta area wrecking yard for $107 plus shipping. Took it to my mechanic with Ed's instructions about how to remove it but left to his choice the decision of replacing the teflon nut or the entire assy. Paid him $320 as he decided it was easier to replace the assy. A word of Caution for high mileage drivers. Make sure the teflon nut stays lubricated! Now I have some spare stearing parts, a light tan steering wheel, a turnsignal / clockspring assy, and a tilt, telescope motor and gear assembly, and a black steering column shroud which hides the gears and surrounds the column switches. All of these are cluttering up my garage and available cheap. OBO

OK, it is fixed! The only way to get the worn out teflon nut part is to buy an entire assembly. I found one at an Atlanta area wrecking yard for $107 plus shipping. Took it to my mechanic with Ed's instructions about how to remove it but left to his choice the decision of replacing the teflon nut or the entire assy. Paid him $320 as he decided it was easier to replace the assy. A word of Caution for high mileage drivers. Make sure the teflon nut stays lubricated! Now I have some spare stearing parts, a light tan steering wheel, a turnsignal / clockspring assy, and a tilt, telescope motor and gear assembly, and a black steering column shroud which hides the gears and surrounds the column switches. All of these are cluttering up my garage and available cheap. OBO
Is this what you bought- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...teid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Last edited:
You saved yourself a ton of money....there are new entire tilt assemblies around but the retail price is over $1,300 (I've checked)...
IMG_1948.jpgIMG_1951.jpg
When I removed my '02 instrument cluster to fix it I lubed all the moving parts, slide rails and worm gears in the steering "tilt and extend" mechanism. It immediately starting working more smoothly and with less noise...

The assembly I bought included steering wheel and shroud clockspring which I did not need but I was able to utilize the newer and nicer cruise control switch panel.

Now Fixed! Total cost $300 labor $107 (used) part. Works beautifully. The teflon nut worth $0.50 is not available. I bought the entire steering column. Local mechanic exchanged the clock work servos assembly with my trim parts. It looks the same and works perfectly. I am happy.

Great outcome. These cars don’t have to cost a fortune to keep running if you’re clever.

Is this what you bought-https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=lincoln+ls+steering+column&_sacat=0&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1
Very Close but the one I bought was out of a 2005 Thunderbird with 80,000 miles before it was rear ended.
While Lincoln LS parts may be the same, I try to buy bird parts. ;-) ?

Hi,Biddie am on the auto train at the moment with my new 2004 lt. ice blue, sand interior, hard top tbird. 84k on the clock. Can’t edit my profile to show car. Tilt stuck in up position, in & out ok. Will address problem tomorrow.

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I have the same problem and purchased a replacement steering column to get that part too. Haven't tried to pull out the part yet.. Let me know any info would be good..
Thanx

Back