2004- Noise from front brake pads | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004- Noise from front brake pads

• Thread starter Thread starter Tboy
  • Start date Start date
Tboy
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Getting noise from front brakes, also dust on front rims. Rear, don't hear any grinding and no dust on rear wheels. Should I go ahead and change both out? I'll probably have to order the pads prior to getting work done...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tip, your subject is the most important part of your post. "Brake Pads" is vague and does not include the model year(s). I will update your subject now. Please follow the subject's prompts on future posts.

With that said, you should inspect the brake pads to determine if it needs to be changed.

modelyear.jpg

Getting noise from front brakes, also dust on front rims. Rear, don't hear any grinding and no dust on rear wheels. Should I go ahead and change both out? I'll probably have to order the pads prior to getting work done...
Hi, dust is normal and use a wheel cleaner to remove it. Squeaking can come from several things.

What kind of pads were used? Some squeak more than others and does not mean a under performing set of brakes.
But if there are issues:
When the last pads were put on did the mechanic use anti squeak on the back of the pads?
Are there grooves or ridges on the outer or inner surfaces of the discs? How many miles on the pads and disc's?
Are there rust ridges on the outer edges of the discs? They can cause noise until you wear down that rust every time you drive.
How often do you drive the car?
Does the noise go away after the brakes get warm?

Finally, are the pads worn down to the pad wear indicator that is supposed to squeal?

Regards
Mark
2002 T-Bird, 68K miles First set of new rotors and pads done at 67,500 miles. They squeak as I back out of the garage but that is it.

Back