2004 Front Suspension Coil Recommendation 3.22

Idaho Highboy

Idaho Highboy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,

Looking around the forum and it seems like the KYB front struts and the MOOG strut mounts from Rock Auto are the recommended product for "stock or better" replacement(?). I don't see anything recommending springs, although I could have overlooked such. I'm not interested in the all-in-one kits like Monroe makes, as I haven't read any good press on these products.

Before I purchase anything, I thought I'd post and see what's out there. I don't mind upgrading these components if something else better is out there. I've never been impressed with the handling - but am not on a race track either...

Thank you all!
Idaho Highboy -

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject on future posts. I have added this for you. Thank you for posting.

Hi all,

Looking around the forum and it seems like the KYB front struts and the MOOG strut mounts from Rock Auto are the recommended product for "stock or better" replacement(?). I don't see anything recommending springs, although I could have overlooked such. I'm not interested in the all-in-one kits like Monroe makes, as I haven't read any good press on these products.

Before I purchase anything, I thought I'd post and see what's out there. I don't mind upgrading these components if something else better is out there. I've never been impressed with the handling - but am not on a race track either...

Thank you all!
Idaho Highboy -
The complete unit by Monroe is the way most shops are going when replacing struts in todays market. This gives you new upper strut plate new spring and strut. way easier and safer than breaking down strut to put spring onto new or old strut. If you ask your local shops I'll bet most are using loaded struts where available. Monroe and Moog are are now one company under the name Drive, recent merger. Hope this helps

Thanks Bill. I don't like that the front end bounces like a basketball with only 70K on the odometer; it tells me that Ford wasn't using "top shelf" coils to build the car. I found a set of (four) German made springs from Thunderbird Specialties for $400; they lower the suspension an inch, not that I need it lowered. I don't know if anyone else has experience with this setup.

Yes, I know I'll have to get a spring compressor from HF, but the work doesn't look that bad. Appreciate your response and am hoping there is a "silver bullet answer" out there - maybe not...

Yes, I know I'll have to get a spring compressor from HF, but the work doesn't look that bad. Appreciate your response and am hoping there is a "silver bullet answer" out there - maybe not...[/QUOTE]

be careful with HF coil compressors, buy two sets and double up, work slow. How do I know? H&R lowering springs for an Audi S4, ouch, no one hurt badly but scary none the less.

Thanks Bill. I don't like that the front end bounces like a basketball with only 70K on the odometer; it tells me that Ford wasn't using "top shelf" coils to build the car. I found a set of (four) German made springs from Thunderbird Specialties for $400; they lower the suspension an inch, not that I need it lowered. I don't know if anyone else has experience with this setup.

Yes, I know I'll have to get a spring compressor from HF, but the work doesn't look that bad. Appreciate your response and am hoping there is a "silver bullet answer" out there - maybe not...
Moog has rear coil springs for about $90 part number 81737 for a pair

There is a ford part house selling original T Bird springs on ebay right now. Your best bet is to
use KYB of Monroe struts. I just replaced the front struts on my red 02 Bird, springs were ok.
Made a huge difference. My struts were leaking around the shaft seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck be very careful breaking them down and putting new pieces together

Yes, they are under a lot of tension. Rather that use a spring compressor, I used a press
to compress the complete assembly, unscrew the nut, relieve compression, swap out
struts, recompress assembly until strut shaft came out top of mount, and reinstalled
nut, and I was good to go. Only took about 10 to 12 minutes per strut.

Thanks all for the comments and sorry I didn’t post photos and steps for the repair; something I normally do on the Ford Truck forum.

I replaced the struts and caps, and paid a mechanic for the headache & risk of compressing the coils. The job was pretty easy, although I took a couple of nuts off that I didn’t anticipate. It’s a very reasonable job if anyone is sitting on the fence or feels intimidated. About the same work as doing a brake job(?).

Again, sorry I didn’t post a step-by-step with photos.

I may replace the rear struts on my 02 Bird, if I do I will take plenty of photos, so everyone can
see all the steps. The front rides so much better, imagine how much better the whole car will
ride if replacing the rear improves the same. It appears the struts leak after either high mileage,
or age, so I am sure they have gone soft.

Back