2004 Boss BV775BLC Radio upgrade? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Boss BV775BLC Radio upgrade?

• Thread starter Thread starter OldSaltCityAce
  • Start date Start date
O

OldSaltCityAce

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi;

Thinking about updating the stereo in my 2004 Tbird. Has anyone installed the Boss BV775BLC stereo, and if so, how do you like it?
Thanks, Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thought about it, bit installed the Sony instead, very happy with i

Attachments

• BAECEBD7-B263-4BD3-8CAB-3A4457A38710.jpeg
    BAECEBD7-B263-4BD3-8CAB-3A4457A38710.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
This reply is not specific to the brand, model or question. Closer to head-unit replacements tips for T-birds.

Should you drive with the top down, realize you'll not see the display in daylight. Then there's night. Look for dimming features as they often animate colored light shows and look like a Las Vegas billboard. The Miata folks like to run marine head units for boats. You can see them as high contrast and have all the features and amp punch of car audio. They don't have back-up cam inputs but they do have weather bands.

See Crutchfield offerings and read reviews to get a baseline of decent units. There are many double-din units where a quality Kenwood or Pioneer would be a better choice over budget brands. Snag a branded model, maybe last years new in box. These things are liquidated and often dumped when the new flavor is released.

I found the Ford unit sounds pretty dandy with the Sat interface. Older, but these units are well designed and sound awesome with factory speakers. I normally don't have much to say for any factory audio.... until now. They have unpublished specs but they were marketed as 'audiophile' grade. Thought that was silly but for the era they have decent output (wattage), can pump the bass drivers, speaker placement and EQ makes for impressive tunes. Okay fine, maybe even audiophile for a vert? I've had a newer Bose system optimized for Miata that the Bird could embarrass. I listen to my Borla exhaust system and wind whip so, not exactly helpful here. Just remarking the factory system is sort of a unicorn.

Beware, you could enjoy upgrade bonus with touch-screen nav, Bluetooth, etc. but a cheap head may make audio performance a down grade or worse than stock? There are eight speakers where the wrong amp specs may introduce issues? Lastly, steering wheel button interfacing is often claimed as 'button ready' where it should read 'button maybe?' They all don't plug and play with factory buttons. Some indeed will work but the steering button thang was relatively new with no standards when our Birds were hatched. Enter the third party box now needed to convert the button logic to the head unit to talk. In other words, if you want wheel buttons, research what model(s) work.

Last edited:
I just bought a Kenwood DNR1007XR (10.1" touchscreen/nav) with a iDatalink/Maestro-SW for steering wheel button integration, Sirius XM module and two Kenwood CMOS-720HD cameras for front/rear viewing. The fun part will be placing the two satellite antennas, microphone, connecting to the e-brake and running the wire to the tail light for the reverse signal.

Crutchfield was very helpful on the required parts (relay for tail light reverse signal [negative triggered] and resistor for removing amplifier pop on startup).

Do be aware you should buy two harnesses as I had to use one for a spare wire/pin for the steering wheel interface (pin 18). The base harnesses (Metro and Pac) do not include pin 18!!! As I wanted the upgrade to be fully reversible, I didn't want to cut the original pin 18 wire on the factory harness to obtain steering wheel integration.

The reason I went this route is our family is used to large screens and high res cameras for front and rear viewing via our other cars. I didn't want the Thunderbird to be relegated to low res cameras and a small screen.

Back