2003 Where is the fuel filter? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Where is the fuel filter?

• Thread starter Thread starter cheeselouise
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cheeselouise

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Is the fuel filter in my '03 Thunderbird under the driver side inner REAR fender? Can I simply remove that wheel and then the inner fender to reach it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, not in the inner rear fender.
I found some info for you and will copy it here, so I cannot answer any questions since I have not done this myself:

"This isn't a hard job to do and requires just a couple tools. I'll tell the way I did this and I'm sure there are others that may think other ways may be easier and less work but for me this was the easiest.
First remove the drivers side front wheel and have the car on jack stands on that side of the car. Next on the kick panel of the passengers side remove the #4 fuse in the fuse panel. At this point turn the engine over for a second, this relieves the pressure in the fuel line.
With the wheel removed you have easy access to the back half of the fender liner. There are 5 plastic plugs that hold this in place. Remove all 5 plugs and then pull the rear half of the liner from the wheel well.You can now see the fuel filter bolted to the wheel well.
The bracket holding the filter is held in place with one 8mm bolt. First, using a fuel line removal tool disconnect the outer line. Then unbolt the bracket and remove the other line. You now have the filter free from the car.
The bracket has a holding tab on the side of it. With a straight blade screw driver pry this tab outward while sliding the old filter out of the bracket. To reinstall just do everything I mentioned in reverse making sure the arrow on the new filter is pointing towards the engine compartment.
Once everything is back in place reinstall the fuse into the panel and your finished.

This took me about 1/2 hour. I priced this at the dealer and to have them do it the cost was $48.00. I bought the filter at Advance Auto for $9.00.
Some say,You don't need a special tool to remove the plastic clips, I have used needle nosed pliars in the past."

I hope this helps, let us know please

No, not in the inner rear fender.
I found some info for you and will copy it here, so I cannot answer any questions since I have not done this myself:

"This isn't a hard job to do and requires just a couple tools. I'll tell the way I did this and I'm sure there are others that may think other ways may be easier and less work but for me this was the easiest.
First remove the drivers side front wheel and have the car on jack stands on that side of the car. Next on the kick panel of the passengers side remove the #4 fuse in the fuse panel. At this point turn the engine over for a second, this relieves the pressure in the fuel line.
With the wheel removed you have easy access to the back half of the fender liner. There are 5 plastic plugs that hold this in place. Remove all 5 plugs and then pull the rear half of the liner from the wheel well.You can now see the fuel filter bolted to the wheel well.
The bracket holding the filter is held in place with one 8mm bolt. First, using a fuel line removal tool disconnect the outer line. Then unbolt the bracket and remove the other line. You now have the filter free from the car.
The bracket has a holding tab on the side of it. With a straight blade screw driver pry this tab outward while sliding the old filter out of the bracket. To reinstall just do everything I mentioned in reverse making sure the arrow on the new filter is pointing towards the engine compartment.
Once everything is back in place reinstall the fuse into the panel and your finished.

This took me about 1/2 hour. I priced this at the dealer and to have them do it the cost was $48.00. I bought the filter at Advance Auto for $9.00.
Some say,You don't need a special tool to remove the plastic clips, I have used needle nosed pliars in the past."

I hope this helps, let us know please

"..... remove the #4 fuse in the fuse panel. At this point turn the engine over for a second, this relieves the pressure in the fuel line." I removed the #4 fuse (as identified on the fuse panel cover); cranked the engine a few seconds, but then it would not crank. I'm assuming that there is some sort of setup to stop the engine from cranking if there is no fuel (based on the removal of the fuse). Please advise! Thanks!!

I just let the car sit over night. The max pressure on the system is 65 PSIG. After accessing the fuel filter I wrapped a rag around the connector, carefully removed the plastic clip, (these clips you can purchase online under Fuel Line Retainers 2F1Z9A317AA WIX WCK11 if you break one), and gently separated the line from the filter. There was some gas line pressure but nothing of concern. I would suggest safety glasses, good nitrile gloves and a fire extinguisher for safety along with something to catch and gas. I watched a mechanic do it the first time I had it changed. Also the two lower clips that hold the lower portion of the inner skirt which look like screws with rounded off heads... Use a pair of pliers and gently grab the head and pull straight out. That will release the clip holding the the inner skirt in place. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back