2003 trouble after Air Flow Sensor install

What prompted you to install a new MAF? Did the car start correctly prior to that?

Put the old MAF in and see what happens.

PS they make MAF cleaner that often restores the sensor to an operational state.

What prompted you to install a new MAF? Did the car start correctly prior to that?

PS they make MAF cleaner that often restores the sensor to an operational state.
Good advice. My experience on another car is that aftermarket units don't work. Had to buy a reconditioned OEM unit. What's the exact history of your units?

The car ran and started just fine before installing MAF. I installed it because of AIR warning on OBD. After install car starts but only after several tries. Battery and starter motor seem good. I followed your advice and re-installed the old MAF. I'll see what happens today. LOVE YOUR CLUB

The car ran and started just fine before installing MAF. I installed it because of AIR warning on OBD. After install car starts but only after several tries. Battery and starter motor seem good. I followed your advice and re-installed the old MAF. I'll see what happens today. LOVE YOUR CLUB
Make sure you clean it with MAF Cleaner- https://amzn.to/3TD7Uza

I do it once a year on my cars. The MAF cleaner evaporates quicker than throttle body cleaner and is better since the MAF is sensitive.

I changed back to the original MAF but hard starting continued. I did not disconnect the negative terminal of the battery....it looks like that was my mistake?? If I disconnect the battery now, will that "reprogram" the computer?

You stated that you installed the Mass Airflow Sensor because of AIR warning on OBD, what were the fault codes that were stored?

Here are the fault codes related to the Mass Airflow Sensor:

P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0104 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent
P1100 - Mass Air Flow (maf) Sensor Intermittent
P1101 - Mass Air Flow (maf) Sensor Out Of Self-test Range

Without a fault code you will have to rely on the No DTC(s) Present Symptom Chart for hard starting.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hard Starting.jpg

Here is a Technical Service Bulletin for idle fluctuation - hard starting.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hard Start 1.jpg
Hard Start 2.jpg
Hard Start 5.jpg
Hard Start 3.jpg

Hard Start 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed back to the original MAF but hard starting continued. I did not disconnect the negative terminal of the battery....it looks like that was my mistake?? If I disconnect the battery now, will that "reprogram" the computer?
The code that I got was 1035. I have a $50 code reader. Car is still showing "check engine light" and it cranks a lot before starting. MAF sensor was replaced. I did the procedure to re-program ECM. Only thing I can think of is to take the ECM out and have a pro 'wipe" it.

Back