2003 transmission trouble upshifting

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The trans works perfect in Reverse and Automatic. It downshifts perfect in Standard. It works going 1st to 2nd but only occasionally shifts from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th

The trans works perfect in Reverse and Automatic. It downshifts perfect in Standard. It works going 1st to 2nd but only occasionally shifts from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th
Are you having a problem with the select shift? I don't completely understand your issue.

Hey Biddle. Happy Thanksgiving from Hawaii. Yes I think what I'm calling the Standard transmission, you're calling the select shift. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I'm amazed by your prompt response....do you know what's wrong?

Hey Biddle. Happy Thanksgiving from Hawaii. Yes I think what I'm calling the Standard transmission, you're calling the select shift. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I'm amazed by your prompt response....do you know what's wrong?
My late grandparents lived on Oahu for 12 years when my grandfather was relocated there for his FDIC job.
Select Shift was an option on that allowed the driver to manually shift the years. Are you having general transmission problems?

Do you have an E-Code showing yet? This thread has a lot of information on transmission-

No trouble with the Automatic. In Select Shift only occasionally will it upshift 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. It downshifts perfectly. What's wrong

Are there any fault codes in the transmission control module and if so what are they?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

It may be that the shifter's electric contacts for the upshift need cleaning. Or there is a loose electrical connection.

May be of no help at all but disconnecting the battery overnight and then reconnecting it so the PCM can "learn" optimal shift points after some typical driving may be worth a try.

It may be that the shifter's electric contacts for the upshift need cleaning. Or there is a loose electrical connection.
Where are the electric contacts?? Thanks for replying

May be of no help at all but disconnecting the battery overnight and then reconnecting it so the PCM can "learn" optimal shift points after some typical driving may be worth a try.
I tried it...didn't work. No error codes are showing. Thanks for replying

Are there any fault codes in the transmission control module and if so what are they?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Hey Doug, no fault codes. Thanks for replying

Looking at the attached wiring diagram it looks like the only two connectors that might have loose terminals are terminals 4, 6, 9 and 10 in the 10 pin connector at the shifter mechanism and pins 6, 14 and 22 at the 54 pin connector of the Powertrain Control Module. I would also check splice S221 in the wiring harness itself.

If you are going to disassemble the shifter mechanism, I attached the removal procedure.
1-removal.jpg2-removal.jpg
diagram.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened up the center console. When I "jiggled" the wires the SelectShift worked better but still not perfect. Thanks to @doug7740 for the hint

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened up the center console. When I "jiggled" the wires the SelectShift worked better but still not perfect. Thanks to @doug7740 for the hint
Tip. Use the Like/Thanks button on the user's post to thank them.

Does anyone know the location of the solenoid for the Select Shift?

I think that's causing my woes and I'd like to replace

After jiggling and squeezing the wires the Select Shift works perfect. I can't believe it!

Back