2003 Traction and ABS lights illuminate when driving

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have an 03 Tbird and the Traction and ABS dash lights illuminate when driving. My mechanics computer says the problem is with the passenger side rear wheel speed sensor. I changed the sensor 3 times. Two from Autozone (Duralast brand) and one from Kragen (Borg Warner brand). The lights illuminate with the new sensors in the same manner they did with the original sensor. If I drive the car a short distance (no traction or abs lights) and park it for an hour the traction and ABS lights will illuminate shortly after getting into the car and driving. (The lights seem to come on immediately if the car is warm) First thing in the morning, I drive the car 30 miles to work on the freeway and the traction and abs lights do not come on. When I drive it home in the afternoon the lights come on in almost exactly the same location about 10 miles from work. Their is sometimes a clicking sound that comes from the passenger side rear wheel just before the lights illuminate but not always. Sometimes I can feel a pulsing in the brake pedal during the time I hear the clicking sound just before the traction and abs lights come on. When the pulsing occurs in the brake pedal the wrench light on the dash illuminates along with the Traction and ABS lights. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject/title of your post in the future. I added it for you.

My ABS and Traction Control dashboard/instrument lights illuminated after driving my 03 Thunderbird for approximately 30 minutes from a cold start (parked overnight/cold engine). The same problem/symptom occurred after driving the car for approximately one minute when the car (engine) was warm. (All lights reset if/when ignition was shut off and car is restarted). Pulsing in the brake pedal and relay clicking from the trunk area of the car occurred sometimes (not always) just before the ABS and Traction Control lights illuminated. On rare occasion the wrench light illuminated on the dash along with the ABS and Traction Control lights. (The wrench light indicates the engine is in safe mode and limits the RPM’s). The OBD code thrown when this occurs indicated the passenger side rear wheel sensor was faulty (note: This code cannot be read with a low cost OBD reader like those used at an auto parts store. I had to go to my mechanic who had an OBD reader that could read all codes stored in the cars main computer memory.) I replaced the wheel sensor twice but the problem and symptoms did not change with new sensors. Based on the above information I removed the electronic module from the ABS system located in the engine compartment and sent mine to Module Masters who repaired it for $250 (+ shipping) and had it back to me within a week. I installed the unit and the problem is gone. Removal of the module is very easy. There is a large plastic box with fuses located on the passenger side wheel well in the engine compartment. This fuse box is easily lifted from its tray and can be held off to the side with a bungee cord. Remove the fuse box tray by removing the 3 bolts that hold it in place. The ABS control module can then easily be removed by removing the 3 screws that hold it in place. (you will need a #5 “E” socket to remove the ABS module screws). Once the screws are removed the module is easily pulled off the ABS manifold.

Yesterday while driving my '02 TBird with 41k I almost missed my turn and had to brake hard. The ABS and Traction Control instrument lights illuminated. After stopping and turning off the engine, they went out when I restarted the engine. Go figure. I think my TBird days are numbered. ha!

Sorry I have no idea but I have my Traction and ABS lights on as well. I went to O'Rileys and they said I did not have any codes in my system. Not sure how it works but I was under the impression that if you had a light on you had a code. Is their code detector just not accurate or do I just not understand. Would not be the first time I did not understand something. My wife always told me I did not understand and she was a very smart woman as she often reminded me.
Auto parts stores do not have ABS in their code readers, only for check engine light. You need to take it to a garage that has a ABS reader. Your problem is most likely the module, there is a small circut board inside and solder joints crack over time to cause both light to come on. On E Bay you can buy a rebuild or send yours for rebuild

Yesterday while driving my '02 TBird with 41k I almost missed my turn and had to brake hard. The ABS and Traction Control instrument lights illuminated. After stopping and turning off the engine, they went out when I restarted the engine. Go figure. I think my TBird days are numbered. ha!
When you brake real hard, they will come on then reset themselves. It is the forced braking that does it

I have an 03 Tbird and the Traction and ABS dash lights illuminate when driving. My mechanics computer says the problem is with the passenger side rear wheel speed sensor. I changed the sensor 3 times. Two from Autozone (Duralast brand) and one from Kragen (Borg Warner brand). The lights illuminate with the new sensors in the same manner they did with the original sensor. If I drive the car a short distance (no traction or abs lights) and park it for an hour the traction and ABS lights will illuminate shortly after getting into the car and driving. (The lights seem to come on immediately if the car is warm) First thing in the morning, I drive the car 30 miles to work on the freeway and the traction and abs lights do not come on. When I drive it home in the afternoon the lights come on in almost exactly the same location about 10 miles from work. Their is sometimes a clicking sound that comes from the passenger side rear wheel just before the lights illuminate but not always. Sometimes I can feel a pulsing in the brake pedal during the time I hear the clicking sound just before the traction and abs lights come on. When the pulsing occurs in the brake pedal the wrench light on the dash illuminates along with the Traction and ABS lights. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks in advance.
I have exactly same issue with my 2003 Bird and its at shop and we all need answers, have you figured out the issue?

I had this happen on a high mileage 2002 T Bird I keep for parts, and the same lights came on. I disconnected the large
plug that plugs into the front ABS module, cleaned with contact cleaner both the plug, and the pins on the ABS module.

ABS and traction lights have never come on since cleaning. On a wet day I took car out, and tried locking up brakes, and
the ABS system worked perfectly.

I have exactly same issue with my 2003 Bird and its at shop and we all need answers, have you figured out the issue?
I removed the electronic module from the ABS system located in the engine compartment and sent mine to Module Masters who repaired it for $250 (+ shipping) and had it back to me within a week. I installed the unit and the problem is gone. Removal of the module is very easy. There is a large plastic box with fuses located on the passenger side wheel well in the engine compartment. This fuse box is easily lifted from its tray and can be held off to the side with a bungee cord. Remove the fuse box tray by removing the 3 bolts that hold it in place. The ABS control module can then easily be removed by removing the 3 screws that hold it in place. (you will need a #5 “E” socket to remove the ABS module screws). Once the screws are removed the module is easily pulled off the ABS manifold. (see my June 27, 2019 post)

I removed the electronic module from the ABS system located in the engine compartment and sent mine to Module Masters who repaired it for $250 (+ shipping) and had it back to me within a week. I installed the unit and the problem is gone. Removal of the module is very easy. There is a large plastic box with fuses located on the passenger side wheel well in the engine compartment. This fuse box is easily lifted from its tray and can be held off to the side with a bungee cord. Remove the fuse box tray by removing the 3 bolts that hold it in place. The ABS control module can then easily be removed by removing the 3 screws that hold it in place. (you will need a #5 “E” socket to remove the ABS module screws). Once the screws are removed the module is easily pulled off the ABS manifold. (see my June 27, 2019 post)
Thanks, I am having a little trouble finding a module, have a call in to Module Masters.

I had to mail mine to them. They repaired and returned it to me in about a week. I'm not sure they have spare units they can send you? I hope this solves your problem. Best of luck!

I had this happen on a high mileage 2002 T Bird I keep for parts, and the same lights came on. I disconnected the large
plug that plugs into the front ABS module, cleaned with contact cleaner both the plug, and the pins on the ABS module.

ABS and traction lights have never come on since cleaning. On a wet day I took car out, and tried locking up brakes, and
the ABS system worked perfectly.
Brilliant. I just brought my like new 2002 Tbird with 55K miles on it home this weekend. Drove it 4 hours with no issue (more or less) and drove it to work today. Hit a wet spot on road as I was turning and Traction control light came on, then a few minutes later the ABS light came on. Stopped for gas and when restarted the traction control was out (figured the was normal as it needed to "reset") but ABS stayed on. Stopped at store about 5 minutes later and when turning ignition on again, no ABS. Reading all the posts on this common problem made me think I either didn't have a problem unless it keeps happening and if it does, then going to have to pay for new or rebuild ABS module. I like your idea much better ! And will give it a try if the lights come back to haunt me.

Brilliant. I just brought my like new 2002 Tbird with 55K miles on it home this weekend. Drove it 4 hours with no issue (more or less) and drove it to work today. Hit a wet spot on road as I was turning and Traction control light came on, then a few minutes later the ABS light came on. Stopped for gas and when restarted the traction control was out (figured the was normal as it needed to "reset") but ABS stayed on. Stopped at store about 5 minutes later and when turning ignition on again, no ABS. Reading all the posts on this common problem made me think I either didn't have a problem unless it keeps happening and if it does, then going to have to pay for new or rebuild ABS module. I like your idea much better ! And will give it a try if the lights come back to haunt me.
Thank you for the great info. I have been dealing with the ABS Light, Traction Control Light, Brake Warning light, wrench light and check engine light since we bought our car two months ago. I pulled the ABS module out and cleaned the connectors. It didn’t help. Tonight I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor with one I bought on Amazon and the car could barely idle in the garage. As soon as we started it, we got the usual dash lights. I put the original TPS sensor back in and the lights stayed off in the garage. I rapped on the TPS sensor while my wife monitored the dash and nothing happened. When I rapped on the ABS module, the Traction Control light, Red Brake Warning light and ABS light instantly came on. So I think we finally found the smoking gun. I plan to send the ABS module out for repair soon. Thanks for all the good advice and insight.

Hi, I also have a 2003 Bird W 90,000 miles. It started w the Traction Control,ABS & the Emergency Brake light coming on. Then the Speedometer would stop working but the Tach. would continue to work, then a E appeared where the Shifter Position 5th usually appeared If that wasn’t enough then a Wrench & the Engine symbol lit up. At that point it started running Sluggishly, why not!
tried Disconnecting the Battery & reconnecting. Sometimes that would clear all the lights but then when I would shut off all the Lights or code would reappear! Any suggestions (other than Sell It) would be appreciated.
Dale N.

Thank you for the great info. I have been dealing with the ABS Light, Traction Control Light, Brake Warning light, wrench light and check engine light since we bought our car two months ago. I pulled the ABS module out and cleaned the connectors. It didn’t help. Tonight I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor with one I bought on Amazon and the car could barely idle in the garage. As soon as we started it, we got the usual dash lights. I put the original TPS sensor back in and the lights stayed off in the garage. I rapped on the TPS sensor while my wife monitored the dash and nothing happened. When I rapped on the ABS module, the Traction Control light, Red Brake Warning light and ABS light instantly came on. So I think we finally found the smoking gun. I plan to send the ABS module out for repair soon. Thanks for all the good advice and insight.

Where are the Sensors Located? Or what Manual can I purchase?
Hello Dale, it sounds like we are experiencing the same problems. I would suggest you take your car to Auto Zone to download the codes. That is a great place to start. At the advice of a forum member, I purchased the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20
on Amazon for $120 and that has given me a lot of insight and focused my problems to ABS, Vehicle Speed Sensor, or Throttle Position Sensor. It seems one bad part can trip other codes. I changed the Vehicle speed sensor, located on the rear driver’s side of the transmission, but it didn’t make a difference. I haven’t purchased a service manual yet for my car yet, but plan to. I’m not sure which one to buy yet. If you read all the ABS forum comments on here, they offer great descriptions of similar problems and what the fixes were. I have been emailing Module Masters about sending in my ABS module in for repair. I tapped on the module while my wife watched the dash lights, and they all illuminated- I feel that it is the smoking gun. The ABS module is located in the front passenger corner of the engine compartment and can be accessed by lifting off the fuse box and removing the fuse box bracket. Three screws hold the ABS module onto the ABS manifold. One member was able to fix his problem by cleaning the electrical connector contacts. That didn’t work for me. The Throttle position sensor is located on the passenger side of the throttle body. I just bought a replacement on Amazon but it was a bad part and the engine ran rough until I reinstalled the old sensor. You can also look at the three ABS fuses in the fuse box, and the ABS sensors and harnesses located at each wheel. I have been taking related connectors apart and inspecting the pins and cleaning with contact cleaner. There are some great YouTube videos about how to check these, but aren’t Tbird specific.I hope this helps get you started.

I’m hopeful our Thunderbird may finally be in good shape. Module Master repaired the ABS Module. With shipping and replacement screws, the total charge was $297.26. Module Master replaced the voltage regulator, a bad capacitor, and the interface controller and it comes with a five year warranty. When I installed the module and connected a brand new (6-12-21) Motorcraft vented battery , I had 14 fault codes! I cleared them and drove the car 30 miles at all speeds with no issues. I shut it off and waited an hour to go for a drive with my wife. When we started the car, the ABS and traction control lights were back. I couldn’t clear them. Also, we got the red brake warning, dashed out odometer, and the wrench. I was going to pull the module and send it back to module masters so I disconnected the new battery. The engine was too hot to work on so I went to bed. The next day I decided to give it one more try and reconnected the new battery and started the car. The ABS and traction control lights stayed off. I have driven the car to run errands around town and on the Highway for two days now, about 75 miles, with no issues- even after it’s been sitting hot for an hour and restarted. I look for codes when I pull it in the garage and so far I have not seen anymore ABS codes.
Since my wife and I bought the car 3 months ago from a friend (it had been sitting for 2+ years) we have been dealing with the ABS issues. I wish I had sent the module in for repair and bought a new battery 3 months ago! In the meantime, I bought the electronic service manual, Blue Driver OBDII, replaced the vehicle speed sensor, and inspected as many wiring harnesses and connectors as I could access. I have enjoyed learning about and working on the car, but was fearful it wouldn’t be reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back