2003 Tbird radio | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Tbird radio

• Thread starter Thread starter rstaples
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took delivery of a red 2003 Tbird last Saturday afternoon. I am very pleased with it so far except for the radio. More specifically, the AM band is unusable! It is extremely noisy almost all the time and sounds much like there is a nearly constant static discharge. I took it to the nearest Ford dealership and they told me that "this is just the way it is because it has an in glass antenna!" I pointed out that I own a Chrysler Concord Limited which also has an in glass antenna and it has one of the best radios that I have ever had in a car. His comment was "well that is an entirely different matter!" He also told me I could buy an add on antenna amplifier. This is not acceptable in a $40,000 car. Are all Tbird radios this bad on AM or is there a noise filter or ground connection loose?

Richard

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I live in Waco and my AM station of choice is located in Dallas -- about 100 miles away. My reception is fantastic in the bird and is clear as a bell, even in bad weather. Best of any of the cars that I have now, even a 2003 Dodge pickup with an antenna. You definitaly must have something wrong as our bird radios should be fine, even with the windshield antenna.

Richard, there has been much talk about this issue, and it seems that at least half of all new Thunderbird owners are very displeased with their AM reception, while others seem to have no problem at all. There apparently is a Technical Service Bulletin that has been issued specifically to cover the static problem, so you might want to check with another dealer's service department.

You are not alone!

I've been on the road for over a year with mine and have no problem with AM.
Check to see if the dealer who told you this, is "Blue Oval Certified." Generally if they are certified by Ford, you do not get that type of response. Maybe if you asked him to put it in writing, the answer would change.
Anyway, do not accept that answer. If nothing else, take it for warranty service at another dealer. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

AM Radio reception

As there had been earlier comments concerning the AM reception,
and due to the fact I haven't used the AM band in almost a year
of ownership, I tried mine this week and fortunately it works
very well here in North Texas. It sounds as if there were quite a
number of faulty AM components and would hope the technical
bulletin referred to will repair/replace them for the affected
people.

A big thanks to all that replied to my original post! It is very comforting to know there are folks out there willing to help.

This is a follow-up on my radio to let those interested/concerned about the status. The radio inexplicably seems to have gradually cured itself! The near constant rumbling static noise became less and less over a period of about a week. I had been listening to the pre season football call in shows while gritting my teeth at the horrible noise etc. However, the more I used the AM portion of the radio, the less often the noise appeared and now seems to have totally subsided. I have not heard the problem AT ALL recently! VERY odd but now AM is acceptable. I am happy that the problem seems to have gone away, but I will say that the audio system in the Tbird is still certainly disappointing in this price class. In fact, it is several notches below my Chrysler Sebring convertible premium sound system. I do like the automatic volume adjustment with speed changes. Great idea! Still, I have dreamed about owning one of these since I owned a black 56 Tbird back in 1964. ;^)

What is on AM radio now

I haven't listened to AM in probably 30 years.

Since you don't hear it mentioned much anymore
surprised it is still an option on a car or home stereo.
FM is now standard on even the lowest price vehicle.

Curious what plays on AM band.

Do they think it will eventually be phased out.

AM Radio today

< I haven't listened to AM in probably 30 years.

< Since you don't hear it mentioned much anymore
< surprised it is still an option on a car or home stereo.
< FM is now standard on even the lowest price vehicle.

< Curious what plays on AM band.

< Do they think it will eventually be phased out.

AM radio today has gone mostly to talk shows including:

1. Political talk shows (most leaning heavily to the right)
2. Sports (I like basketball and just a bit of football)
3. General talk shows where the topic varies
4. Gardening talk shows
5. Auto talk shows
6. NEWS (supposed to be news, but too often more opinion than fact and geared more toward entertainment and/or shock value - just like on TV)
7. Music (much better done on FM of course)

As to being phased out, I do not believe so. Sports and especially talk shows seem to be a niche in which AM does very well. Technology is changing too. In fact, some AM stations in larger markets are starting to use a new digital technology. If interested, you can do a search on the Internet to find out how it works. Of course to take advantage of this new technology would require purchasing a new digital radio. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back