2003 spits & sputter & eventually dies

Smdva

Smdva

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2003 Thunderbird, 04300 miles. When the car warms up after a 30-minute drive, we begin to smell gas coming from the back of the car with the top down. About 10 minutes later the engine begins to spit/sputter. I baby the throttle for a while then it starts losing power and we pullover and let it sit for 15 minutes. We resume travel for only 15 minutes and we repeat the power failure. I had new coils/spark plugs installed but still have the problem. I'm thinking it must be running too rich and floods out. Anybody having similar issues or ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2003 Thunderbird, 04300 miles. When the car warms up after a 30-minute drive, we begin to smell gas coming from the back of the car with the top down. About 10 minutes later the engine begins to spit/sputter. I baby the throttle for a while then it starts losing power and we pullover and let it sit for 15 minutes. We resume travel for only 15 minutes and we repeat the power failure. I had new coils/spark plugs installed but still have the problem. I'm thinking it must be running too rich and floods out. Anybody having similar issues or ideas?
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Three suggestions. You might try putting fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank or have someone clean the injectors by running it directly thru them. Also, maybe your fuel pump is not working well. That can be checked with a pressure gauge, but a mechanic might need to do that. Smell of gas is not a good sign as it suggests gas is leaking from somewhere. Can you determine if it is in the engine compartment? Because you mention the rear of the car it sounds like the gas tank / fuel pump. The simplest solution might be you have a non-functioning gas cap and it is clogged. Try replacing it. I would maybe run the car and when it starts its sputtering, stop and take off the gas cap and see if it corrects itself more quickly.

Sounds like the ECM/PCM (Electronic/Power Control Module) is getting a bad signal and throwing the cars computer into 'limp home' mode.

Back