2003 soft top slow to come up | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 soft top slow to come up

• Thread starter Thread starter Nurse J
  • Start date Start date
N
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
First post
When came from enjoying another sunny day in NC with my 2003 T-bird convertible down i was puttong the top up and it was real slow to come up. From best I can tell battery is still good. Top is usually the last thing up after everything is turned off, radio,lights, A/C. God forbid it is a new motor for the top (is that a thing) any ideas???
Thanks for the help. Besides Ford, anyone know a good mechanic in the Winston Salem area of NC...
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: HKS

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes it could be the motor. It's still working so that's good. First use a volt meter to check the battery for 12.5 volts when off and 13-14 volts when running and charging. Then try to lube the all moving parts/joints of the roof framework with some WD40 being careful not to get it on the cloth top.

First post
When came from enjoying another sunny day in NC with my 2003 T-bird convertible down i was puttong the top up and it was real slow to come up. From best I can tell battery is still good. Top is usually the last thing up after everything is turned off, radio,lights, A/C. God forbid it is a new motor for the top (is that a thing) any ideas???
Thanks for the help. Besides Ford, anyone know a good mechanic in the Winston Salem area of NC...
Neil
Leave the engine running while putting up the top

Keep the engine running while putting the soft top up or down.

Never use WD 40.on any of the linkage. It will not help or last. It will run & get into the cloth top. Use only a light oil like 3-n-1 applying only 2-2 drops at each pivot point then wipe off the excess.

Back