2003 Smokes when hard acceleration | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Smokes when hard acceleration

• Thread starter Thread starter dlm007
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dlm007

Reaction score
I have a 2003 t-bird and have noticed that when I accelerate hard, light blue smoke comes out of my exhaust. I also noticed that when I start the car after sitting for a couple days, a puff of blue smoke comes out when I start the car. I took it into the dealer and they said there was bulletin on the valve cover gaskets leaking. They installed the fix and it still smokes occasionally on startup and smokes a lot when I accelerate hard.

I would think this is a problem with myexhasut value guide leaking?

Thought??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There's been a few that reported the same thing. Not burning oil or anything. Most were told to forget it.

have you had the computer read for codes? my pickup does that some since the "check engine" eluminated. i had already spent over 200.00 trying to get that light to go out and stay out, so when the shop said another 200.00 should do it, i said forget it. the mix can be made richer or leaner on a misread computer issue, and thats the explanation i got for the pickup. mine only smokes on startup then stops. but i did have a computer alert. but i changed 2 items that were supposed to fix it, no luck. it doesn't effect performance or mileage on my truck.

Found this info, it may help:
"I have a 2004 Tbird and when the auto is first started a puff of blue smoke rolls out of the exhaust. I took it to the Ford garage and they want to say that it is the metal in the exhaust system that is causing it to smoke. It is so bad at times it is embarrassing. I have seen other Tbirds start up without smoke. I have checked the oil levels and they seem to be fine. The auto only has 12,000 miles on it and has always had the oil changed at the dealership. Is this typical? Can it be the metal in the exhaust. Ford refuses to do anything about it."
Another:
"My car did this twice in a few day period in the 3 years and 4 months I've owned it. I mentioned it to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong with it. It hasn't happened for over 2 years now, so I figure it was an anomaly."
And another:
"Our 02 did it one time in Amarillo when we were at our sponsoring dealer for a monthly Thunderbird meeting. It was embarassing in front of about 20 other T-Birders. The car had about 4,000 miles on it at the time and never did it again. It now has 7,000 miles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back