2003 shifter won't stay in D4 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 shifter won't stay in D4

• Thread starter Thread starter jbird
  • Start date Start date
jbird
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
purchased 2003 a week ago, 77K miles. Shifter won't stay in D4. I started using D5 and wiggle shifter fwd and back to ensure it stays in D5. Ideas?
I plan to flush and fill transmission (never done per only records I have - carfax). Still issue seems to be shifter related.

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

purchased 2003 a week ago, 77K miles. Shifter won't stay in D4. I started using D5 and wiggle shifter fwd and back to ensure it stays in D5. Ideas?
I plan to flush and fill transmission (never done per only records I have - carfax). Still issue seems to be shifter related.
It wouldn't hurt to change your trans fluid but it probably won't help your problem. My 10,000 mi '02 has about a 10% chance of going into D4, defaulting to D5 the other 90% of the time. I've taken the shifter out, cleaned and lubed it to no avail. My gut tells me it's the ECM but no one can guarantee that. I just live with it.

Wednesday: cable check for d4, I'm flushing just in the rarest chance it could be related.

How is an electronic command sent? What controls it? Thanks.

Update: someone (dealer or owner) dumped pan recently and underfilled tranny fluid. New filter, gasket and Mercron V today. Will report back.

After the transmission fluid was replaced with mercron V, the car sat overnight and the car won't go back after shifting into R. Not sure where this is going, but makes me feel I bought a lemon.

Not sure where this is going, but makes me feel I bought a lemon.
A lemon is a new car that has repeated problems. You have a car that could have been built 22 years ago, which is over two decades ago. Anything that is that old is subject to mechanical failure.

Update: the situation has evolved
as more problems presented throughout this process: extreme delay in gear engagement, dsiling to engage and hard shifting. After assessment a remanufactured transmission has been suggested with a 4K price tag. The dealership may be assisting with repair/replacement cost of transmission as well as the list of other issues presenting.

Back