2003 Power Steering Not Working | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Power Steering Not Working

Carrera
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
2002 power steering just quit working about 3 years ago, in the time since I have replaced all of the mechanical parts over time, taken it to 2 private shops and 2 Ford dealers, still stiff as a truck. Read about the FEM and sent that to a guy in Detroit who rebuilds them, stood on my head to replace it then nothing again....them one day I started it up and voila, magic I had my power steering back...but then two drives later nothing, then a while passes and its back again. Drives like a dream when it works but rare, getting ready to give up & sell it but thought I'd try asking this group for last ideas. Seems like an electrical thing going on and off at random...appreciate any and all thoughts, Thanks (PS on my last oil change I asked my mechanic to replce one last part, the pressure witch...he said he couldn't find the part to fit but said if it wasn't leaking it was fine is he right?)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2002 power steering just quit working about 3 years ago, in the time since I have replaced all of the mechanical parts over time, taken it to 2 private shops and 2 Ford dealers, still stiff as a truck. Read about the FEM and sent that to a guy in Detroit who rebuilds them, stood on my head to replace it then nothing again....them one day I started it up and voila, magic I had my power steering back...but then two drives later nothing, then a while passes and its back again. Drives like a dream when it works but rare, getting ready to give up & sell it but thought I'd try asking this group for last ideas. Seems like an electrical thing going on and off at random...appreciate any and all thoughts, Thanks (PS on my last oil change I asked my mechanic to replce one last part, the pressure witch...he said he couldn't find the part to fit but said if it wasn't leaking it was fine is he right?)
Not sure if my issue is the same as yours, but a few years ago my 2002 started leaking power steering fluid from a sensor mounted to the side of the pump. Replacing the sensor fixed the leak, but the steering has been heavy since the repair. The car soon after developed multiple symptoms of a defective FEM. Since heavy steering is one of the many symptoms of a defective FEM, I'm not sure if the replacement sensor created the steering issue or if it was the first sign of a dying module.

Not sure if my issue is the same as yours, but a few years ago my 2002 started leaking power steering fluid from a sensor mounted to the side of the pump. Replacing the sensor fixed the leak, but the steering has been heavy since the repair. The car soon after developed multiple symptoms of a defective FEM. Since heavy steering is one of the many symptoms of a defective FEM, I'm not sure if the replacement sensor created the steering issue or if it was the first sign of a dying module.
Thank's for the reply...did you then fix/replace the FEM & restore the power steering?

The Front Electronic Module (FEM) outputs a pulse-width-modulated (PWM) current to the control valve actuator. The control valve actuator controls the hydraulic valve that determines the amount of hydraulic assist provided to the steering gear. The FEM pulse-width modulates the control valve actuator current to provide the desired amount of assistance.

Yes, a defective FEM can cause your power steering to quit working, but fault code C1925 will also be stored in the FEM. There are other things that can also cause your power steering to quit working. Check for faults stored in all of the control modules before proceeding.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back