2003 Convertible Top will lower but not raise

D

Drdipstick

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Our 2003 Tbird with 26K miles has a problem with the convertible top control. It will lower but not raise. Troubleshooting so far: The switch has been checked for continuity and it is good. Trying to raise the top by jumping the contacts in the switch plug did not work. Jumping the contacts in the plug to lower the top did work. Both the raise relay and the lower relay have been checked using a 12 volt source and are working properly. If the two relays are interchanged, the up control still does not work. I have jumped the connections in the up relay socket and the top will go up, so the problem is not in the motor/pump. I have checked for obvious issues with the wiring harnesses both at the front and rear control modules and see no issues. I can see no permissives in the wiring diagrams that I am missing. No fuses are blown. The switch connects to the front control module which connects to the rear control module which connects to the raise/lower relay panel. Has anyone had a similar problem and can offer a likely spot to look in the wiring harnesses?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just a thought but I lubed the pivot points on my convertible top when the UP function caused "jerky" operation - a small difference in current can cause some faulty operation if there is excessive friction.

Thank you for your replies. The module scenario makes the most sense at this point as the top will go up easily when the circuit is "jumped". From the threads that I have read about the module replacements, I am comfortable doing the replacement myself. Do you have a specific vendor that you recommend for the replacement module? There were some horror stories about some of them. Does Ford offer a "rebuilt" unit ?

Our 2003 Tbird with 26K miles has a problem with the convertible top control. It will lower but not raise. Troubleshooting so far: The switch has been checked for continuity and it is good. Trying to raise the top by jumping the contacts in the switch plug did not work. Jumping the contacts in the plug to lower the top did work. Both the raise relay and the lower relay have been checked using a 12 volt source and are working properly. If the two relays are interchanged, the up control still does not work. I have jumped the connections in the up relay socket and the top will go up, so the problem is not in the motor/pump. I have checked for obvious issues with the wiring harnesses both at the front and rear control modules and see no issues. I can see no permissives in the wiring diagrams that I am missing. No fuses are blown. The switch connects to the front control module which connects to the rear control module which connects to the raise/lower relay panel. Has anyone had a similar problem and can offer a likely spot to look in the wiring harnesses?
Top on my 2003 bird is doing the exact same thing. What was the resolution of the problem?

I currently have the same problem with my 2003 Bird. Top is down and will not raise. What was the resolution to your problem? Where are the up and relays located and how did you "jump" the top raise relay socket? If I push the top down switch I can hear the motor running. the top up switch is silent. Please respond. thanks

I currently have the same problem with my 2003 Bird. Top is down and will not raise. What was the resolution to your problem? Where are the up and relays located and how did you "jump" the top raise relay socket? If I push the top down switch I can hear the motor running. the top up switch is silent. Please respond. thanks

Relay Box 1.jpg

Auxillary Relay Box.png

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Sorry that I did not see your post earlier and hope that this information is still useful. There was another post about top operation issues that showed that hot wiring the switch to the control pin on the relay (up for up and down for down) would override the FEM and REM. The switch is in the ground circuit for the modules and the modules ground the relay in return. I ran a wire from the up side of the switch to the up relay control pin. The switch will then active the relay directly. The only difference is that you are bypassing the modules which only allow operation when the ignition is on. The direct wire will allow top operation all the time (ignition off). Hope this information is useful

Where exactly are the top relays located? Cant seem to get an answer anywhere.

The convertible top raise and lower relays are located in the auxiliary relay box 1, located in the passenger compartment behind the seat next to the Rear Electronic Module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

REM and Aux Relay Box.jpg

Hey everybody I've got a problem with my convertible top on my 2002 thunderbird. I put the hardtop on back three or four months ago and the winter and I just took the hardtop off and I went to raise the soft top convertible top and it will not raise. I can hear the pumps or the motors running when I press the button but to no avail the top will not raise. Can y'all help me out on this one? Thanks JC

If the Hydraulic pump is working check for fluid leaks or the top frame binding or jammed.

Back