2003 cold air intake | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 cold air intake

• Thread starter Thread starter jsword47
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've been thinking about getting a K+N cold air intake. I have two questions:
1) how hard is it to install
2) how good is it at improving performance
The reality is, without a computer tune like an SCT Tuner, there isn't much performance boost from a CAI on most cars and even with a tune it's negligible. The installation is easy. Here is a photo of one- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/k-n-cold-air-intake.5408/

I consider it more of a hobby-type thing. Many people are happy with this though and say that can hear more of a growl.

Read through this thread- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...pgrades-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.5001/

I've been thinking about getting a K+N cold air intake. I have two questions:
1) how hard is it to install
2) how good is it at improving performance
There is an aspect of these types of filters: Yes they let in more air. In doing so they let in more contaminants. It's physics you can't have one without the other. Believe it or not factory air filters work fine for every day. They are very good at keeping contaminants out and breathing well. They aren't as restrictive as the aftermarket players would have you think. If you want to race take the filter off, if you want your engine to last keep the most efficient filter you can buy on.

I have put cold air intakes on every Mustang (8) that I have owned. Plus a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi truck. I did put one on my 2002 T-Bird. Every vehicle EXCEPT the T-bird had an immediate gain in fuel mileage and performance. With a tune you can greatly improve the performance. Having said that, I would suggest you get a K&N drop in filter that is oiled. It is a lot less expensive, it filters air very good, and you will hear the sound that you are looking for. Once a year you will need to wash the filter and re-oil it. The filter oil can be found at any auto parts store along with the filter.

There are benefits over 'they just make more noise' claims. Cold air? Not so much as the factory massive plenums and noise-mitigating balloons did introduce cold air from the wheel well inlet. When you yank out the factory mess, there's a fender 3" air inlet hole near centered with the K&N heat shield. Gobs of cold air to be had. Less restriction does increase noise under heavy throttle but a pay-off can be felt by opening up both ends of the pump (engine). A less restrictive muffler adds to the magic where more air in, with faster exhaust pulses out, and more power can be had. Why? The fuel mapping will adapt to lots-of-air sucking in and adds more fuel to compensate the mixture. More fuel, more go, hot-rod 101.

Took a stocker and swapped the exhaust to a Borla Touring system 'cause the factory sounded a little anemic for a V8. Added the K&N to make room for a catch-can (air-oil separator). The intake throttle body was oil coated from the factory PCV goodness. Removing oil vapors and carbon bits from the intake was my goal. The throatier K&N surprisingly perked up the off-idle response and it clearly has more mid-range pull. My Wife thought it was some killer gas in it. Told her to stuff her foot in it and was quickly met with a grin as it shoves you back while she 'barks' a tad.

Easy install? No. There are some hose/fitting issues well documented but an easy fix. Below post is about the catch-can but does mention the K&N hose challenge.

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2003-2005-catch-can-installation.13537/

CatchWeb.PNG

Back