2002 will not start early morning but starts later

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2002 Thunderbird will not start in early morning 8 am 9 am but around noon will start car in Florida temp 82 than always starts the rest of the day

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not enough details. Won't start? Does it crank, no power? What happens?

Is anything plugged into the OBDII Port?

Did you have your battery tested? Obviously this is a top priority for troubleshooting.

2002 Thunderbird will not start in early morning 8 am 9 am but around noon will start car in Florida temp 82 than always starts the rest of the day
It won't start but does it crank? Has it rained overnight or is it parked near a sprinkler system? It could be that something is wet and when it dries, it starts.

Check for proper fuel pressure at the fuel injectors. Faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, fuse, relay, poor electrical connections or faulty wiring on the fuel pump circuit are several possibilities. Cycle the key from 'OFF' to the 'ON' position, and listen closely you should be able to hear the fuel pump run in the fuel tank for several seconds each time the key is cycled. If the fuel pump runs, check the pressure at the common rail. Without correct fuel pressure the computer will not send signal for the COPS to fire.

It's my belief that 'time of day' is merely a coincidence. Some other intermittent issue is causing the no start condition. If it was a colder climate I would suspect a temperature sensor/cold start choke and that may still be the case, but I would start with confirming fuel pressure.

Having this same issue... On cool days, below 70 degrees (Florida) 2003 cranks but won’t turn over. I noticed if I turn the key to just before crank position, the engine cooling fan comes on. If I allow it to run in that position for 30 seconds or so, turn key back off, then on, it will crank and start. If temp is warmer outside, the fan doesn’t come on and it cranks and starts first try...The code reader came up with fuel pump, throttle body, and ECM. Car runs fine once it starts ( had to replace all COPS prior to current issue ). So far have replaced fuel pump, and oil temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor. That didn’t fix it. So Miss Mary (quite contrary) is in the shop today getting a new ECM installed. Thanks goodness hubby works at Ford dealership! I’ll let y’all know if the ECM is the fix she needs. The weather is expected to be cooler the next few days, so we’ll see :/

UPDATE
Appears that the ECM was the culprit, 58 degrees this morning and Miss Mary fired right up first attempt!

Last edited by a moderator:
All this makes since. These T Birds are getting old, 15 to 19 years. Electronics do not age well, electronics do not
like heat, breaks down components.

Back