2002 - What to do about Visor that doesn't rotate? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 - What to do about Visor that doesn't rotate?

• Thread starter Thread starter VolleyballJIM
  • Start date Start date
VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Just got a 2002 TBird (Followed Thunderbird since 1955 as a 5 year old; so this is a BIG deal to me)...BUT, when I tried to move the visor 90 degrees to cut the sun, NO BUENO . . . Looks like they're locked in place, so if the sun is hitting from the side, I'm out of luck . . . ANYONE got a solution ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just got a 2002 TBird (Followed Thunderbird since 1955 as a 5 year old; so this is a BIG deal to me)...BUT, when I tried to move the visor 90 degrees to cut the sun, NO BUENO . . . Looks like they're locked in place, so if the sun is hitting from the side, I'm out of luck . . . ANYONE got a solution ?

The side of the top is low. If you raise your seat a bit? I have done that. Does anyone know if the Lincoln LS mountings would work or are the windshield header interior parts Thunderbird unique?
Raising your seat! In a pinch, GREAT idea!

I have an 02 Lincoln LS will look and measure. It's the same car interior. I will get back to you.

Gord

Ok, I have had a look and there is no header on the LS I guess because of the fact that the car is not a convertible. That being said I think that if you are handy and can find an LS in the scrap yard you could adapt the L.S. visors using all the LS arms and clips in the 02 since the interior dimensions the same.

These 2 cars were built on the same platform with one foot taken out of the Thunderbird's platform, otherwise they are the same car, built on the same assembly line in Wixom, M.I.

Otherwise the Ray-Ban's are the best and least expensive way to go.

Ok, I have had a look and there is no header on the LS I guess because of the fact that the car is not a convertible. That being said I think that if you are handy and can find an LS in the scrap yard you could adapt the L.S. visors using all the LS arms and clips in the 02 since the interior dimensions the same.

These 2 cars were built on the same platform with one foot taken out of the Thunderbird's platform, otherwise they are the same car, built on the same assembly line in Wixom, M.I.

Otherwise the Ray-Ban's are the best and least expensive way to go.
Were the visors in the LS as cheap as the ones in the bird. Mine look like vinyl covered cardboard. I would have thought that as expensive as these cars were when they were new, they world have used premium materials

Do the visors rotate in any other convertibles? That was one of the first things I noticed when I got my Tbird - the visor wouldn't swing to the side. I just figured it was a convertible thing???

Do the visors rotate in any other convertibles? That was one of the first things I noticed when I got my Tbird - the visor wouldn't swing to the side. I just figured it was a convertible thing???
My 2001 Mustang swings, so even Ford makes them...

Interesting, I've had my '05 since Dec 2004. I never noticed that they don't swing.
I have always had a hat with me, and not a ball cap but one with a brim, such as cowboy style but not too broad a brim. An Irish walking cap or a Greek fisherman's cap do work when the top is down.
I would think that a T-bird hat would become available, not the T-bird ball cap that I already have.
BTW, I saw and fell for the T-bird the summer before I started kindergarten.

Back