2002 Thunderbird Power steering question.

Wfg3
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello. I just purchased my car a few months ago. It has 110k. Nice clean car and I am happy. The only thing I’m concerned about is the steering being a bit stiff upon a cold start. The pump groans a bit too. Fluid level is perfect. Car is bone dry underneath. Once warmed up for a couple of minutes, everything is fine. I was thinking about having the system flushed. Any thoughts? Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Having the PS fluid changed out is probably the best start at troubleshooting if your noise continues. I have 103K on my car & I know as soon as the streets are clear & dry I am going to get the PS fluid changed.
When you have it done be certain whoever does it uses the fluid your owner's manual requires, not what they think or want to put in.

Thanks for your suggestion. I’m waiting on the weather too. The Northeast is tough. I’m going to check with the local dealer to see how much. Anyone done it themselves?

Look for OBD2 eror code C1925
I will borrow my friend’s scanner and check. I just read a little about this code. There was mention of a solenoid and the control module. I hope it’s not either. This car intimidates me after reading about some of the potential issues.

Also, if you are going to replace the PS fluid you need to put in the Ford additive that helps prevent the PS noise.
If you take the car to Ford dealer, they will put in a new PS solenoid $470, and it still will not be fixed. Then they will order a new Front Electronic Module (code C1925) (FEM also called Lighting Module) and let you wait 6 months before they tell you the the FEM is no longer available.

When you use the OBD2 tool, make sure you do the test that interogates all the modules (5 min or longer test) not the generic error codes.

HKS

If it is the FEM and if you want, I can send instructions on how to remove the FEM and where to send it for repair..
The 2002 Tbird FEM removal instructions have errors and there is a catch 22.

Last edited:
Good info. Thank you. Sounds like you’ve been down this road before. I’m going to check for the code first. If nothing shows, I’m going to change the fluid and add conditioner. The car fax report showed the system had been flushed a couple of times over the years by an area garage. I’m wondering if they used the right fluid. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for these posts. This helps a great deal if I decide to change the fluid myself.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: HKS
Really have never in 70 yrs of car ownership flushed the PS system - wouldn't know how.
Every 10K mi I suction most of the fluid from the res and refill. Never had a PS problem.
Your mileage may differ. Cheers

Really have never in 70 yrs of car ownership flushed the PS system - wouldn't know how.
Every 10K mi I suction most of the fluid from the res and refill. Never had a PS problem.
Your mileage may differ. Cheers

I never had either... Seems like now days quit a few repair shops try to talk you into it.. I have heard that the sequels can be lessened by adding an additive to the power steering pump... Just like our aging human bodies, we have to try something to heal our ailments.. Maybe my knees won’t pop as much.. Maybe I can once again see better in the dark of night.. Heck with my hearing going bad too, I may not even hear the squeals coming from my power sterling..

Mine still makes noises when cold or sitting a while. Just turn the wheel all the way left then all the way right. Don't hold it in max turn position too long. Ford warns of damage if held too long. Doing this is much easier if the VAPS is working.
This clears usually the noise problems.

Back