2002 Thunderbird does not move after stopping at traffic light

Transporter

Transporter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I searched the Forum using Transmission(s) and got nowhere. If somebody knows where to point me, please do.

The 2002 Tbird starts and runs fine. At different times, I will pull up to a stop at a traffic light and when it turns green, I press on the gas pedal and the engine free revs and the Third does not move forward. I have to manually move the shifter from D to 3 to get the vehicle to move. Once back in D, all is normal and another traffic light does not repeat the issue until weeks latter. The transmission was serviced about 7000 miles ago. I am currently not throwing any codes.

I seem to remember a Service Update or Recall on the shifter as something was done to the vehicle while in for service and it was at no cost and we bought the Tbird used and out of warranty.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had a similar issue in my 05 Mustang. It was a solenoid in the transmission. Sorry

My wife's 2003 HAD some problems a couple of years ago. I drained the oil and added Lucus transmission Stop Slip. This is an additive that cleans the transmission. 1 quart.
If you have not had your Trans oil changed EVER. you need to. YOU should also change the filter, which means taking down the tran,'s rear cross member to get the pan down.

You should have transmission looked at by " trusted trans . tech" It may be something as simple as manual lever position sensor. that trans is very electronic with electronic shift solenoids, pressure solenoids etc. I just bought my 2002 t-bird and called yesterday for service not knowing if 44,000 mile car was ever done. It seems a little pricy 200.00 plus, but trans overhaul south of 3000.00 dollars. The transmission oil is its blood. There is a catch 22 if your trans is high millage and you flush it, it is possible to dislodge contaminants and cause problems also good luck

My wife's 2003 HAD some problems a couple of years ago. I drained the oil and added Lucus transmission Stop Slip. This is an additive that cleans the transmission. 1 quart.
If you have not had your Trans oil changed EVER. you need to. YOU should also change the filter, which means taking down the tran,'s rear cross member to get the pan down.

I had the transmission serviced at the proper milage. They did the full service and replaced the oil. Question: how did you add Lucus? The 2002 Tbird is a sealed transmission with only an injection port and removal port fitting. There is not even a dip stick to check the transmission oil level IE there is no place to add transmission oil much less Stop Slip. So without a dipstick or transmission filler cap, how can one add anything without owning a service garage or transmission shop?

there is a fill plug at the back of the trans just right of center.

Back