2002 T-Bird interior chrome door handles -chrome peeling off

P

Pete Higgins

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m new to the forum today. I found lots of good information. Thanks

Does anybody know where I can get driver’s side chrome and passenger’s side chrome interior door handles for my 2002 T-Bird? The chrome on mine is peeling off and has resulted in some nasty cuts. Failing replacement availability, any solutions to the peeling chrome issue?

Pete, you may be able to have your existing ones re-chromed. Try googling for a chrome plating business close to home. Worst case you may have to ship them to a chromer.

Pete,
I did notice that Krylon sells a spray can of chrome paint on Amazon and I think I have seen Dupli-color Chrome spray cans at some auto parts store. If you don't want to spray, you could always spray some into a cap or cup and use a brush. The Amazon site reviews tend to say it is more bright silver looking than chrome. I have not tried this but if you do try one of these please post your results.

02bird,

I picked up the wiring manual on EBay for $11.69 + $8.00 Economy Shipping. Thanks for the info.
View attachment 1541

Gus Gutz

Novel treatment of the chrome door handle. Not sure what he used, it looked like some kind of heat shrink chrome or maybe the heat was to activate a sticky backing. I wonder if it stays stuck or has sharp edges?

tjzzz21

Thanks for the idea. I think paint would wear off too fast so I probably won’t try that. My peeling chrome tends to curl at the edge and is as sharp as a razor blade. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to peel away the remaining chrome that’s still stuck.

I have the same problem with both door interior door handles. I figured that there wouldn't be an easy inexpensive fix So I haven't looked in to it. The peeling chrome on my driver's side is sharp as well.

Does anybody know where I can get driver’s side chrome and passenger’s side chrome interior door handles for my 2002 T-Bird? The chrome on mine is peeling off and has resulted in some nasty cuts. Failing replacement availability, any solutions to the peeling chrome issue?
I just got an idea. Just a suggestion: Try gluing silver leaf over the handles. Silver leaf is available from most craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby. And if you are skilled you might could do it without removing the handles. Just a suggestion I have no experience with this it's just an idea.

Sue & OREOCAT,

I went back and watched the video that Gus posted. I didn’t pick-up on it the first time but Chris Fix said he was using Chrome Vinyl Wrap. I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure how durable it would be but if my handles get bad enough I’ll probably give it a try. I have several heat guns and probably even a hair dryer would work. He peeled off the old chrome and cleaned the plastic surface with alcohol (I assume isopropyl?). In addition an X-Acto knife, squeegee and a micro fiber towel might be helpful. One technique to aid installation seems to be to pre-warm the surface where the vinyl wrap will be applied, and slightly warm the vinyl wrap itself.

Video’s on how to install vinyl wrap:

I checked out the Silver Leaf sheets @ Michaels. After comparing gluing the Silver Leaf and “Heat Shrinking” the vinyl, it looks like the adhesive backed vinyl would work better. From what I’ve read, a well-cared for vinyl wrap can last for 5-7 years. I just hope by then I’m still burning oxygen!

Last edited by a moderator:
b4 i try that vinyl i bought something called' chroma metallic stripez ''today at auto zone.6bucks.its a roll of chrome foiltape with a peelable backing.after about 5 tries following the stupid 10 step direction process(using soapy water). i gave up and just peeled that backing off and put it on.used a hair dryer to make it more pliable. worked out the bumps.looks pretty good.if it dosent hold up ill try the vinyl wrap.u can get it on amazon.

My passenger handle had some peeling on the edge, I sanded it very carefully, I then brush touched silver chrome paint on the edge, I then mixed up clear 2 part epoxy and applied a thick coat over the repair its smooth like glass and hardly shows .
What brand of silver chrome paint and where did you buy it? Thanks

ok maybe this won't look like oem but...
Home Depot sells a small roll of alum tape, 2" wide ?, used for heating ducts, its kinda polished looking and sticky on the back.
you only need to cover the vertical piece?

I had the same problem, and tried to get new handles, but you had to buy the whole door system which was more then I wanted to spend. So I bought some chrome tape and trimmed it to fit, wrapped the handles, and it still working 3 years later!

Has anyone been able to get inside door handles or know of a way to repair them?
For my 2002 I replaced driver side handle from village ford auto parts, they got it from a Ford storage facility and I had to pay extra for entrance during covid, local Ford dealer installed it and panel looks perfect. Good luck !

I might will post if possible
Latch assembly 3w6z76219a65ab my notes

I recently purchased an ‘03 T-Bird. I’ve noticed that the chrome is peeling off of the interior (plastic!) food handles. Is there a way to stop this peeling, so that I don’t have to replace the door handle?

I recently purchased an ‘03 T-Bird. I’ve noticed that the chrome is peeling off of the interior (plastic!) food handles. Is there a way to stop this peeling, so that I don’t have to replace the door handle?
Read posts above.

My 2002 is doing the same thing. I was thinking of taking them to a powder coating shop as they have a chrome color and you get a smooth hard finish.

Mine was peeling so all I did was remove the existing chrome that was peeling sand the door handles then prime and spray paint Simi gloss paint. Came out great.
20210923_163748.jpg

Mine was peeling so all I did was remove the existing chrome that was peeling sand the door handles then prime and spray paint Simi gloss paint. Came out great.
How did you remove the remaining chrome, peel/pry it off? The remaining sections of chrome on mine are very sharp and seem very well attached so I'm concerned about buggering up the plastic underneath.

Mine was very sharp. But I just kept working on it. I got to a point where I just sanded the one on the passenger side that just would not peel off completely. So I had to use a little filler and sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper. After, I spray painted with sandable primer and used krylon semi- gloss. Hope this helps.

Back