1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Top 10 Ford Thunderbird Gift List! Click here.

Dismiss Notice

2002 T-Bird 3rd brake light bulb replacement

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by FrankR., Nov 9, 2019.

1. How do you access the bulbs to replace them on the high mounted 3rd brake light on an 'o2 Bird?

2. Most likely from the trunk. Will have to remove the front trunk liner to see if there is access to the light.

3. It’s a PITA. IIRC you have to take the rear tires off and remove some panels on each side. The procedure is on the workshop manual. Not supposed to be owner- serviceable but you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2019
  4. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

2002 Thunderbird Ford Repair Service DVD Click Here

5. The manual covers removing the entire "high mounted" stoplight ass'y; it doesn't discuss changing the bulb inside...maybe the whole ass'y is replaced. If I ever dig into it I'll try to put an LED light in there for long life, but mine's working for now.

6. There is an LED light already in a 2005. The 2002 shows an incandescent bulb. Not sure if 2003-4 have LEDs also. The 2005 on may be a direct replacement for the 2002 CMSL.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  7. Good to know - thanks....
    I won't convert mine unless it goes out; I've had enough of the car apart with the backup camera install, FEM swap and instrument cluster repair. Ugh!

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!