1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

2002 - Shifting plate scratches - White light shows

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by VolleyballJIM, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Odd little problem: At night the black plate over my gear indicators by the shift show scratches (the white light below shows through). Any idea how to handle these? Can't imagine painting anything on top of the plate where the scratches are or below, but wondered if anyone experienced these and had any solution. REALLY minor thing, but every evening I'm out with the Tbird, I see 'em! Tx!

John Hayman likes this.
  2. Why not try a small bottle of Black appliance touch up paint, it comes in a small
    bottle like the old typewriter white correcting fluid.

VolleyballJIM likes this.
  3. I would suggest a black sharpie, won't be permanent and will probably need multiple coats to block the light. Easy to reapply as needed. MHO

4. Multiple coats with an extra fine point black sharpie worked for me. I was also considering testors black model paint but could not find a dabber for it.

Mach5 likes this.
  6. Go to a craft store for a water color brush.

BluByeU likes this.
  7. The black appliance paint, and apply with a tooth pick works great.

One application does it.

8. This may be a dumb question, but should the gear indicators next to the shifter light up at night? Mine don't on my recently acquired 2005.

ChuckH262 likes this.
  9. Yes, when the dash lights are, shifter lights should be on.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!