2002 Re-torquing X braces?

Swampy Meadows

Swampy Meadows

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
There is a for sale listing on Bring a Trailer for a 2002 Neiman Marcus edition T-Bird. One of the commenters said the following:

Make sure you re-torque those x-braces (there are 2) to 46 lb/ft ; these were not properly torqued at the factory, and will stiffen the chassis considerably when set to spec.

I searched this site and have found no mention of the need to do this. Is this a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a for sale listing on Bring a Trailer for a 2002 Neiman Marcus edition T-Bird. One of the commenters said the following:

Make sure you re-torque those x-braces (there are 2) to 46 lb/ft ; these were not properly torqued at the factory, and will stiffen the chassis considerably when set to spec.

I searched this site and have found no mention of the need to do this. Is this a thing?

Here is the listing: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ford-thunderbird-nieman-marcus-edition-5/
Answered my own question. Found it under "X frame" instead of "X braces":

Yes, there is a link on this site, about re-torque the braces, I believe it was specific to 2002's.....Had my 2005 checked soon after I got it because of the mushy feel of the suspension, they were fine, but I put new KYB struts on it and now it rides and handles like new...

Answered my own question. Found it under "X frame" instead of "X braces":

When you were creating your post, you would have also been shown that thread as you typed your title. We have this advanced, optional function for this very purpose.

Screenshot_20220105-120406_Edge.jpg

I re-torqued mine to the recommended setting about 6 months after I purchased my 19,000 mile 2002 3 years back.
I got a good 1/2 turn on many of the bolts to reach torque and a little more on a few of them..
It made a noticeable "seat of the pants" difference in the ride. chassis_marked.jpg

Does this apply to all years?

I retorqued all of the X-braces a few months ago on my 2004 and all bolts were below spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an easy procedure. You can reach these bolts without having to jack the car or even getting underneath. I check mine yearly. The first time I tried there was at least a quarter turn on two of them.

I decided to tighten the X braces on both of my 02 Birds, most were tight, a few needed a quarter turn, one needed
a half turn. Can not tell any difference in the way they drive, but I recently installed new shocks-struts, and re did
the suspension on both cars two years ago. They both drive great. Even checked all the fluids.X brace.jpgBoth T Birds.jpg

After seeing this thread, I did my x frames last week. My 2002 rides tighter now. I think this will be a regular part of spring maintenance for me.

Back