2002 Re-torquing X braces?

Thunderbird Year
There is a for sale listing on Bring a Trailer for a 2002 Neiman Marcus edition T-Bird. One of the commenters said the following:

Make sure you re-torque those x-braces (there are 2) to 46 lb/ft ; these were not properly torqued at the factory, and will stiffen the chassis considerably when set to spec.

I searched this site and have found no mention of the need to do this. Is this a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
There is a for sale listing on Bring a Trailer for a 2002 Neiman Marcus edition T-Bird. One of the commenters said the following:

Make sure you re-torque those x-braces (there are 2) to 46 lb/ft ; these were not properly torqued at the factory, and will stiffen the chassis considerably when set to spec.

I searched this site and have found no mention of the need to do this. Is this a thing?

Here is the listing: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ford-thunderbird-nieman-marcus-edition-5/
Answered my own question. Found it under "X frame" instead of "X braces":

Anewaltj

Thunderbird Year
Yes, there is a link on this site, about re-torque the braces, I believe it was specific to 2002's.....Had my 2005 checked soon after I got it because of the mushy feel of the suspension, they were fine, but I put new KYB struts on it and now it rides and handles like new...

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Answered my own question. Found it under "X frame" instead of "X braces":

When you were creating your post, you would have also been shown that thread as you typed your title. We have this advanced, optional function for this very purpose.

Screenshot_20220105-120406_Edge.jpg

Thunderbird Year
I re-torqued mine to the recommended setting about 6 months after I purchased my 19,000 mile 2002 3 years back.
I got a good 1/2 turn on many of the bolts to reach torque and a little more on a few of them..
It made a noticeable "seat of the pants" difference in the ride. chassis_marked.jpg

WesTxStoner425

2004 Platinum over Sand interior
Thunderbird Year
I retorqued all of the X-braces a few months ago on my 2004 and all bolts were below spec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus Gutz

Thunderbird Year
This is an easy procedure. You can reach these bolts without having to jack the car or even getting underneath. I check mine yearly. The first time I tried there was at least a quarter turn on two of them.