2002 Convertible Top not Working | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Convertible Top not Working

• Thread starter Thread starter Superiorkim
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Replaced the FEM because dash lights, windows, etc. not working. Now they work but convertible top will not retract.
Have power at the truck fuse box. Any suggestions of what to look for next?
Who replaced the FEM? Did you buy a new one or rebuild it?

Make sure gear selector is firmly in park. The FEM controls the top, they may
have missed something in the repair.

Also make sure all the plugs are firmly plugged into the FEM sockets.

Who replaced the FEM? Did you buy a new one or rebuild it?
bought a rebuilt from Autotec Car Parts. The first on they sent had some of the same problems as the old one. They sent another and lights and windows worked but top didn't work. Put the first one back in and the top didn't work with it. I have checked all the connections and they look good. The car starts in park and runs good. I did the work myself.

Without printing pages and pages from the Service Manual here are the symptoms and possible causes....Capture.PNG
Apparently there are separate "raise" and "lower" relays. I wonder if you "blip" the dash switch to raise the top EVER so briefly if you'll hear the hydraulics kick in ?

I don't know how you "checked the connections" but whenever I have a connector apart I douse it with a good spray of DeOxIt electrical conductor cleaner - always a good idea - both male and female sides.

Last edited:
Without printing pages and pages from the Service Manual here are the symptoms and possible causes....View attachment 12179
Apparently there are separate "raise" and "lower" relays. I wonder if you "blip" the dash switch to raise the top EVER so briefly if you'll hear the hydraulics kick in ?

I don't know how you "checked the connections" but whenever I have a connector apart I douse it with a good spray of DeOxIt electrical conductor cleaner - always a good idea - both male and female sides.
Nothing happens. No power there. I will try the dousing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well here is how the various components inter-relate, its worth a trip to the Ford dealer and $120 or so to have them nail the problem at this point - then you can decide to go from there...could be a simple as the dash switch or involve the FEM/REM; I suspect its an electrical issue and not hydraulic.
Capture.PNG

Thank you I tried that, it didn't make a difference, Going to go to our local Ford dealer tomorrow and see if we can get it in.

Thank you I tried that, it didn't make a difference, Going to go to our local Ford dealer tomorrow and see if we can get it in.
Let us know the outcome.

My Daughter's bird had one of the relays in the trunk under the plastic shield go bad. I looked up the up/down relay info in the manual and then swapped them. The problem them moved from not going up to not going down. Bad relay. It is an standard automotive cube relay. I got some from replacements made by OMRON. Working fine now.

Back