2002 burnt rubber smell when heat is on.

Shanman

I have a 2002 with 23000 miles on it. Just recently it has a burnt rubber smell when the heat is on. Even had a little smoke coming out of the vents. Completely dissapeared when I turned off the heat and fan. Any ideas?

I have a 2002 with 23000 miles on it. Just recently it has a burnt rubber smell when the heat is on. Even had a little smoke coming out of the vents. Completely dissapeared when I turned off the heat and fan. Any ideas?
My 2002 has done this ----------mechanic said probably valved cover gaskets. Did not replace --------------do not notice it two years late r. no oil on floor ...

Shanman

So I noticed this about a week ago on the way back from the store. Today was the first time I've driven it again and the smell was stronger and the smoke was coming out of the vents. Not much smoke but wispy. I really don't think it was water vapor or steam. Tomstoy asked if it did it with the A.C. so I tried it and it didn't do it. Then I put the heat back on and it did not do it. So maybe something fell or crawled in the system and burned up??? I feel like I cried wolf but am glad it stopped. Thanks for the feedback and if it arises again I will update.

Acquired an 02 bird that had been in storage for many years. I had the same symptoms for several trips, maybe 100 miles total, before it went away. No oil or other fluids on the garage floor. Engine looked dry at valve cover gaskets so it did not seem to be from leaking valve cover gaskets. Haven't figured it out and probably won't unless it occurs again. The other thought I had was brakes because smell seemed more noticeable when braking, but didn't see anything there either