2002-2005 Thunderbird Convertible Top Pivot Arm

jimtcrowe

jimtcrowe

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently had a pivot arm break on my convertible top latch. Unable to find the discontinued part at a reasonable price, I had a local shop machine me a new arm and also had a few extra made.

If you have this problem I can sell you the pivot arm, the bushings, and a new designed pin to allow simple installation. By using the new pin instead of a roll pin, this does not require disassembly saving you several hours of work.

If you have a need for this part, contact me at @jimtcrowe

This new pivot arm is made from steel rather than cast so it should not have any future problems as it is superior to the original. You need to save you old j-hook and spring to reuse.

MODERATOR NOTE- 2020 You can also sometimes purchase the entire soft top assembly here. Ebay Purchase Link Click Here

Thanks,
Jim
tbird pivot arm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
E-mailed you a couple of times for this part. Please check your mail. I was about to have them fabricated locally when I saw your post. Having my top replaced and want to do these at the same time. Thanks ~!

Hi Jim, I sent you an email about this pivot arm. My passenger side is missing from my recent 2002 T-Bird purchase

Jim,,I Received the parts and soon as I can find someone to help lift the Hard top off I will fix my latch ;) Do you happen to have a photo illustration of where everything fits? I don't want to put something in the wrong way. If you want you can send it to my email ,,which you have ;)

I recently had a pivot arm break on my convertible top latch. Unable to find the discontinued part at a reasonable price, I had a local shop machine me a new arm and also had a few extra made.

If you have this problem I can sale you the pivot arm, the bushings, and a new designed pin to allow simple installation. By using the new pin instead of a roll pin, this does not require disassembly saving you several hours of work.

If you have a need for this part, contact me at jimtcrowe@******* and use tbird pivot arm in the subject line.

This new pivot arm is made from steel rather than cast so it should not have any future problems as it is superior to the original. You need to save you old j-hook and spring to reuse.

Thanks,
Jim
View attachment 797
Does anyone have instructions on how to replace a broken pivot arm?

It's actually rather easy. If you partially open the top and brace it with a piece of 2x4 so it doesn't close, everything is accessible from the sides. The hardest part is keeping the spring loaded when you reinstall.

Thank you. I’ll take a goo look at it.
Here's a picture of one of the j-hooks. I can't see how you take something apart at the ends to get at the pin that holds the pivot arm in there. Does anyone have any pictures of one taken apart?
It looks like the whole header bow has to come apart??ThanksIMG_0604.JPG

I replaced the plastic bushings without taking the header apart. You can reach in from the side with the top partially open to access the pin, bushings and spring. It needs to be much lower than in the photo here. You can use a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 to stop the top from closing all the way. It's very easy to see the parts once the top is in the correct position. Put a towel inside before you take any of the small parts out or they can drop between the top and the liner. The spring is a real pain to get back in. The bushings are made of plastic and when they crush the little spring pops and the latch no longer works. IMAG1711.jpg

I took a better photo of it today. With the top in this position, place a block roughly where my hand is and brace the top from opening all the way. It will since it is hydraulic.

Once it is blocked, it is easy to access the pivot arm. In this photo you can see the pin holding it in place and the brass bushing I replaced for the plastic one that came on the car

You just have to be careful not to let any of the small parts drop down between the top and the headliner. If you push the pin through, the pivot arm, bushings and spring come right out. Someone told me that ford was charging 1200 for this repair.

I cannot see the photos........
i can see them on my computer but no my phone. I will upload them again IMAG1722.jpg IMAG1720.jpg

Jim, do you still have them? The hook on my top came unscrewed, and we think this may fix our issue with the assembly.

Hi Jim,
Just got my replacements pivot kit that I ordered recently. Thanks for the quick service.
Allen

It took me about 2.5 hours to finally get the install of the new arm done and even at that length of time I could not get the flex pin situated correctly where it would work without me assisting it. But, it does work. You may want to put some type poly coating on it as mine is showing signs of rust already.

If you have this problem I can sale you the pivot arm, the bushings, and a new designed pin to allow simple installation. By using the new pin instead of a roll pin, this does not require disassembly saving you several hours of work.

If you have a need for this part, contact me at @jimtcrowe

Thanks,
Jim
View attachment 797

Do you by chance have another pivot arm? Mine broke on the passenger side. New to this forum and not sure how to contact you personally or give my personal info? Thanks! Sidetrack

I broke the passenger side J-hook on my 2002 Thunderbird top. What is the suggestion for the best way to repair this? Should I just go ahead and replace the entire latch assembly? Please give advice.

The left jay hook fell off into my lap as I closed the 2004 soft top. the lever arm had broken at the pivot pin I need the lever arm, pivot pin, and bushings to save my having to design one for nc machining. message me here or phone two one 4 707 three six 7 one

I am looking for just the "J" hook. my left side is bent and won't screw down all the way, thus not sealing the top completely. Any ideas where I can locate one?

Un screw yours and take it to a good hardware store and ask them to straighten it. Any one with a vice can do it. or send it to me and I will do it for you.
sometimes the threads have to by cleaned add 5 minutes. You may want to paint thinly afterwards as the process may scratch paint. cheers

Only have J hook on driver side (will close with manual help) passenger side missing. Can you drive the car with one hook holding the top down?

Back