2002-2005 TBirds annual repair costs

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm 68 years old with a 4 post garage lift and tons of tools, and, very mechanically inclined.
I do most repairs on my classic and modern cars myself.....like 95% or more.

But I'm older now and if I think I might get hurt, frustrated or too much of my time will be spent, with some large repair, I'll rip my back pocket off getting my wallet out to pay someone else to do it correctly for a reasonable price.

someone else do it correctly for a reasonable price.

Those are the key words to auto repairs. To earn my trust I'll check the quality of workmanship. Even the Lincoln dealer failed the test the last time I took in the Town Car. Half a$$ed work for inflated prices. I worked on cars/trucks/heavy equipment for many years. Had a PA state inspection/certified mechanic licence for 40+ yrs. I'm the type of customer that knows enough to be dangerous. But they still give me all the standard BS. Call me crazy but if I'm paying, I like ALL the bolts/parts put back the way they where found, no messes to clean up, no surprise broken pieces, no large bills for little or no improvement,etc.... Quality is hard to come by. Guess I'll be sentenced to 10 more years of hard time....... on the creeper! :(

Last edited:
If you’re going to work under your car, be sure to have it properly supported. My grandfather died when a car fell on him when it slipped off a jack. I never got to meet the man.

I invested in a set of Race Ramps years ago, they weigh next to nothing, will not slip on ANY surface and as safe as you can possibly get.... But a bit pricey - they've paid for themselves in spades though.100_3812.JPG100_3808.JPG100_3816.JPG

I just saw the post on spending $3,000 to replace timing belt and along with that water pump, serpentine belt, hoses etc. and it all makes sense if I were doing the same thing.. At what point do you say enough is enough. I love my 2002 but if i had to drop $5,000 or more in one year, well even with the resale value of $15,000-$20,000 for mine that just turned 20,000 miles I think I would say UNCLE and sell it.. Boy I only hope I could convince my better half that spending $5,000 for repairs would be a sound decision.. Her ceiling may be much less..
Do yourself a favor and use local repair shops for maintenance you can’t DIY; significantly cheaper than having a he dealer do it directly. I’ve only had one major repair so far in my 2 month ownership and 1,100 miles driven; that being the transmission cooling line rotting and spraying fluid underneath the undercarriage. $60 part that ran me some $370 in labor; thanks sealed transmission :mad:

Back