2002 - 2005 Retro Bird Differences

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I plan on purchasing a 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird to go along with the 1955 Thunderbird I currently own. Looking at the different years, they all look the same. Can someone tell me the changes that were made in the different years, so I can tell them apart?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

There are many. So some miss-statements made by other posters. There really wasn't any "new model year" issues for the 02 because it was basically a rebadged Lincoln LS with the Jaguar engine both tried and tested. Ford received a lot of bad press for just taking an LS and slapping a T-Bird body on it. For model years 2003-2005, Ford decided to ramp up the horsepower which they did, but shot themselves in the foot with the redesigned engine with VVT and COP issues. Hence the TSBs and lifetime warranty on the COPS for these years. White, Black and Red are available every year, but the "fashion" colors changed every year. For example, Yellow was only available for 2002. As for Blue, it was available every year but the blue color itself was different. It was light blue metallic for 02, desert sky blue for 03, ice blue for 04, and medium steel blue for 05. The type of leather used on the seats changes in 03, then again in 04. Of course the 05 has the 50th Anniversary badges and the cashmere limited edition. There was a limited edition for years 30-05 because the interest of owning a T-Bird was waning. Limited Edition models consisted of the '03 007 Special edition, The Neiman Marcus edition, the special edition Pacific-Coast Roadster for 04, Special edition Cashmere for 05. I can go on but seriously, go to the website and read up. :)

Moderator Note: There is no Lifetime Warranty on COPS. It was 10 Years or 100,000 miles, whichever came first. Read more about COPS here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with this poster that mike biddle's site will tell you all you need to know about differences in the years. Disagree that COPS have a lifetime warranty . Good luck, the chase is half the fun!

To make a long story short, I emailed the retired ford mechanic and asked him about the various years of T Birds,
and engine issues. Took him a few days to respond, but did today, much of what is posted above is correct, he
said the 2002 engine was a good engine, and has less issues than the 2003 to 2005. I did not know that.

The 2002 Bird while new, had most of its components taken from Jaguar S, and Lincoln LS which had both
been in production for several years, so there should have not been new model pain.

I plan on purchasing a 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird to go along with the 1955 Thunderbird I currently own. Looking at the different years, they all look the same. Can someone tell me the changes that were made in the different years, so I can tell them apart?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Not sure if this will help you but Mine is a 2005 50th Anv. In chasmier this color was limited to 1500 built absolutely a beautiful color. I never go anywhere that people dont comment on it. They take pics. They ll walk across parking lot the tell me it s the prettiest color they ve ever seen.
I've heard there was a yellow 2005, not sure what color it's called that they only made 75.

Disagree that COPS have a lifetime warranty . Good luck, the chase is half the fun!
Correct, it was 10 years or 100,000 miles whichever came first. I edited that post to correct this misinformation.

Back